Mudguards - for a hybrid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

OK, I realise that with summer on the way I shouldn't really be needing to look for mudguards, but with this been the UK and me living on a building site I feel I really should invest in some. I have plenty of clearance so full guards are fine, the bike also has lugs to attach to. I've had a look around the net and SKS seem to be very recommended, but are they really worth the extra money?

As I can get the SKS for £30 or some similar looking Tortec for £20

Or do any of you have any other guards I should take a look at.

bonj2

Alcdrew said:
OK, I realise that with summer on the way I shouldn't really be needing to look for mudguards, but with this been the UK and me living on a building site I feel I really should invest in some. I have plenty of clearance so full guards are fine, the bike also has lugs to attach to. I've had a look around the net and SKS seem to be very recommended, but are they really worth the extra any money?
In a word, no.

Alcdrew said:
As I can get the SKS for £30 or some similar looking Tortec for £20

Or do any of you have any other guards I should take a look at.

don't know about guards, but I can suggest a better use for £20:

tenpints.jpg

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

bonj, Although I like you use of my £20, that isn't going to stop me and my bike getting covered in mud everyday. My black trousers this morning ended up looking like I had diarrhea and i had to spend an hour cleaning my bike. I'm getting fed up having to clean my bike all the time.

ak88

Depending on what width - ribble do some SKS - I got a set last year for my 28mm wheels for 13 quid! (plus delivery). I gather that ribble didn't have a good reputation a while back, but since cycling about 18months back, I had no issues and used them a few times including a set of handbuilt wheels.

P.H

Über Member
I have the Tortec on my work bike and SKS on my tourers, you're not going to go wrong with either. Even at the same price I'd go for the Tortec ones for a hybrid. They have the same sort of safety release on the front, are slightly sturdier (Both the guards and the struts) the mudflaps are useful and the reflective bands very effective.

Top Bottom