Mudguards for an SCR3.0 running 28mm tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
After nearly 3 Years of trying, I just can't hit that magical Bonj speed needed to repell water and mud from the bike so I've resigned myself to finally buying some mudguards :whistle:

Any recommendations for guards that will fit over a 28mm tyre? (M+)

After nearly 3 Years of trying, I just can't hit that magical Bonj speed needed to repell water and mud from the bike so I've resigned myself to finally buying some mudguards :whistle:
Any recommendations for guards that will fit over a 28mm tyre? (M+)

There is a forum entry here about the Crud Roadracer Mk2

Cruds

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :thumbsup:

I'm not sure they would fit a 28mm tyre (just by reading the reviews and looking at the pictures)
They certainly look like very flashy guards but I just need something that works, doesn't need to be pretty. They seem more race bike orientated and would look lovely on the TCR, but I have no intention of ever taking that out in the rain :blush:

I'll check out the thermoplastic ones, I think my LBS stocks them. In any case, it's probably easier just to take the bike down there and then I can ensure I get something that fits.

adscrim

Veteran
If you have clearance and fittings for proper guards then get proper guards. The cruds are excellent for what the are, that being a best fit for bikes that aren't designed to take guards (they won't fit over 28s), but they come a poor second to a full set of mud guards.

amaferanga

Veteran
I have used SKS mudguards with 28mm Conti Ultragtorskins on my SCR2.0 in the past, but its a bit tight. On the back I couldn't use the metal fixing that attaches to the brake bridge - I had to cut holes in the guard and cable tie it instead. Even doing this I'd get mud and leaves building up which drove me mad. Unfortunately the holes weakened the guard anyway and it wasn't long before it broke in two. On the front I could use the normal fixing, but again the guard was so close to the tyre that mud and leaves would build up.

My advice if you want to fit normal mudguards like the SKS would be to change to 25mm or 23mm tyres. Alternatively, I think Giant make a mudguard specifically for Defy/SCR bikes.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Cool, thank you.

I've never used mudguards before but my bike has small eyelets on the frame near the axles so I assume that's what they're for. I'm certain it will have enough clearnace for full guards, even with the 28mm tyres there's still plenty of room around them.
I'll se what my LBS has in.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I have used SKS mudguards with 28mm Conti Ultragtorskins on my SCR2.0 in the past, but its a bit tight. On the back I couldn't use the metal fixing that attaches to the brake bridge - I had to cut holes in the guard and cable tie it instead. Even doing this I'd get mud and leaves building up which drove me mad. Unfortunately the holes weakened the guard anyway and it wasn't long before it broke in two. On the front I could use the normal fixing, but again the guard was so close to the tyre that mud and leaves would build up.

My advice if you want to fit normal mudguards like the SKS would be to change to 25mm or 23mm tyres. Alternatively, I think Giant make a mudguard specifically for Defy/SCR bikes.

Thanls for that, I'll investigate then.
When I bought the M+ I could only get 28mm as thats all anyone seemed to have in stock at the time.
I am planning to replace them with some new ones before the Winter starts, maybe I'll go for the 25's and look for suitable mudguards then.

Top Bottom