Mudguards for my training bike - Which will fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DanPrice

Looking to get some mudguards as im going to be joining a cycling club as soon as possible, and have read many places that it's best to get some mudguards not only for my own sake, but for the person who'll be riding behind.

So im after some good mudguards, that will do the job, fit, and not cost an arm and a leg?

My bike is a Focus Culebro 2008 (to anyone who has one, and has/knows if theyre is enough room under the forks etc) and wheels are 700x23.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

dodgy

It's hard to give advice on which ones will fit without actually being able to see and measure it. But if it helps, I have managed to fit SKS Chromoplastics to my Giant TCR2 road race bike, this bike doesn't have eyelets but I got around that by using 'P Clips'. You don't see many road race bikes with mudguards, a lot of people use Race Blades instead, they're better than nothing, though. Clearance was tight on the front guard, but plentiful on the rear.
I would look at your clubmate's bikes and see which bikes they managed to get guards on, compare the clearance on your bike with their's.

dodgy

Just checked out a picture of your bike, I'd say it looks tight, but again it's difficult to tell from a picture, especially at this angle.

focus-culebro-08.jpg

OP
OP
D

DanPrice

Thanks Dodgy for the reply. Much appreciated.

Does anyone recommend the SKS raceblades at all?

Just looked at clearance and its very very tight, so i think if the raceblades are worth it ill have to get some.

Am i right in saying they just clip on?

Thanks

kyuss

Veteran
Not used them myself, and people who have experience of full guards say they are not quite as good, but they're going to be the best things you can get if you don't have the clearance. Better than the seatpost mounted MTB style guards and much better than a wet a**e.:biggrin:

dodgy

DanPrice said:
Dodgy, do you know if theyre any good at all/recommend them?

As others have said, they're much better than nothing and if you have tight clearances it might be the only option. They don't cost a lot and they can be taken off for longer periods of dry weather if you like (if we ever get any).

Dave.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Raceblades are OK for reducing the spray on you to the below top tube level, but they will do nothing for anyone behind, and are too short and not stiff enough to fit a rear flap to. Flaps should reach to within 5-6" of the ground to be fully effective.

If you try full guards, it's OK to push the clearances a bit at the rear. You do best removing the official brake bridge fittings and using cable ties instead - two, fore and aft through two pairs of holes in the guard. At the front it isn't safe to squeeze the guard though a too-small gap under the fork crown as it can jam up and send you over the bars. It's better to cut the guard off short so it ends just behind the fork crown. One of these replacement brake bolts may be of use.

If your guards aren't good enough to keep spay out of other folk's faces, it's good etiquette to ride at the back of the group, at least until you've checked.

dodgy

Nice one Andrew, I hadn't seen that replacement bolt option before! My clearances are quite tight on my TCR2 with full SKS chromoplastics fitted, so now I have another option to cut off the part of the guard that goves in front of the headtube/fork and attach behind the fork instead :angry:

Dave.

Top Bottom