Mudguards for my winter road (race) bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dodgy

Fronts now on, I think I will eventually trim the stays back an inch or so in order to fit the plastic end caps for a more secure fit in the event a grub screw rattles out. But this is only my hack/winter bike and I don't tend to do very long rides on it.

Dave.

bonj2

dodgy said:
Hi all,

I'd like to 'winterise' my old road bike now that I have a newer carbon Dolan. The old bike is a 2006 Giant TCR2 fitted with 700c x 23 tyres. I'm not that keen on the SKS race blades and prefer the full on option of the SKS chromoplastic ones - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25793

Reason being that I'm as interested in protected the brake assembly and frame from dirt and water as I am about the water spraying on me!

My bike doesn't have eyelets, but do the SKS guards come with fixings to negate the need for eyelets? Or am I resigned to the option of race blades? Maybe this is a moot discussion and my frame won't have the necessary clearance?

Thanks,
Dave.

christ - all this business of eyelets, muddle over fixings, confusion about clearance - bloody 'ell, why bother!? ;)

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Don't start bonj, you're being predictable again. The entire job cost me £25 and about 90 minutes of my time in total.

bonj2

90 minutes? oh, let's see - plus the , oh - week, that it took you to figure out how to fit them on this forum!

bonj2

It sounds like you've had to butcher them about a bit and manhandle them into submission before they'll fit on!

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Wow, you're obsessed! It took me about 90 minutes to fit them and I can type fast so spent a few minutes putting posts up here, you know, for the benefit of others that might want to fit them. The help I got from this forum was to tell me to use P-Clips, which was gratefully received.
And, no butchering, the guards are as new and could be returned if I wanted, but they fit perfectly and I'll be riding the bike to which they'll be fitted today.
Finally, I'll be maintaining an average speed of about 20 mph over 70 miles today, sorry, that's one of your other obsessions isn't it?

Dave.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well after taking the non-mudguarded bike on the wet club run this afternoon, i was certain i made the wrong choice, at least once mow cop was definitely off the menu.

now i've got to waste time cleaning all the crap off the best bike, which would not have gotten all over the other mudguarded bike.

i don't like mudguards, but sometimes you just need them.

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
well after taking the non-mudguarded bike on the wet club run this afternoon, i was certain i made the wrong choice, at least once mow cop was definitely off the menu.

now i've got to waste time cleaning all the crap off the best bike, which would not have gotten all over the other mudguarded bike.

you obviously weren't riding fast enough!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
you obviously weren't riding fast enough!

well it wasn't a fast ride right enough, but i know from the experience of my commute that unexpected rain on summer bike (no guards) means wet feet, whereas on the mudguarded bike, feet generally stay dry.

i had wet feet today, not due to falling rain (overshoes were scotchguarded), but spray from the front wheel going up through the hole in the bottom of the shoe.

Leadlegs

Dave,

I'll be going through the same process myself shortly, once I've built up my winter bike. So thanks for the info. It gives me hope that I'll be able to successfully fit mudguards to what used to be my number one bike - before I crashed it.

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:

yeah but if you put mudguards on the 'best' bike it would cease to be 'best'.

Young Un

I soon will be putting my guards on my scr2 which luckily has eyelets and just enough clearence.

bonj just because you dont like mudgurads doesnt mean that everyone shouldnt like them and therefore not use them, so shut up.

bonj2

Young Un said:
I soon will be putting my guards on my scr2 which luckily has eyelets and just enough clearence.

bonj just because you dont like mudgurads doesnt mean that everyone shouldnt like them and therefore not use them, so shut up.

I only don't like them because they aren't necessary. I'm merely pointing this fact out to people, however, if anyone wants to have mudguards on their bike to make it look 'wintery' or to make the statement that 'I ride my bike in the rain I'll have you know', then they are perfectly at liberty to do so, and come under no criticism from me for choosing to do that - I think that's where people are misinterpreting what I say, I'm not criticising people's choices if they choose a different choice to me, I'm merely advising based on my choice. Not necessarily gospel - just my choice.
People are perfectly free to completely ignore my advice, and I don't for one minute make the claim that 'everyone shouldn't like them', or that everyone or anyone should share my point of view.

Top Bottom