Mudguards off for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Mudguards on a Moulton are a bit of a pain because the 17" wheels on high pressure tyres vibrate a lot on their suspension (the rest of the bike rides eerily smoothly and comfortably). The mudguards are on the unsuspended bits of the bike and so have a tendency to fatigue and break. This makes you really think about vibration and stress - it can be solved with rubber washers and over-size nuts and bolts and things.

On big-wheel bikes, I've never had a problem with mudguards, although some manufacturers are a bit optimistic with the number and placement of stays, inviting failures unless you modify them.

Well worth having on any functional bike, though. As for complaining about how they look... is the bike for looking at, or for riding? Don't be such a fashion victim!

VamP

Banned
Guards on all bikes all year round. Any frame that can't take guards is not fit for purpose imo.

I wonder if you realise how beardy that makes you sound :smile:

Davidc

Guru
Keep them! I'd used a mudguarded bike for years, then two years ago bought a bike without mudguards - I soon got a pair fitted! Even in summer, I find it really unpleasant getting caught in the rain without mudguards - all the grimy spray coming up at me - yuck!
Not just grime round here.

I never ride without mudguards.

I am the balancing force in our shared universe.

I never ride a bike with one, unless I've been working on my daughter's uncool but very useful Claud Butler Cotswold shopper and need to take it for a spin to see if everything's been done up.

I assume I'll get shi'itey from bicycling and assume I'll have to clean the muck off.

D

Deleted member 1258

I am the balancing force in our shared universe.

I never ride a bike with one, unless I've been working on my daughter's uncool but very useful Claud Butler Cotswold shopper and need to take it for a spin to see if everything's been done up.

I assume I'll get shi'itey from bicycling and assume I'll have to clean the muck off.

I've got better things to do than clean bikes, and I've got no wish to get covered in s*** whilst riding my bikes.

You would if you rode on country roads in Somerset and Devon!

I ride largely in the Three Counties, so in the 'tractor months' it can get pretty slippery or rutted, depending on how dry the mud is.

But my contrarian view on mudguards was developed in London, where the only slush on the streets (in the form of horse poo) is outside Upton Park after a home game.

VamP

Banned
There's a certain righteous evangelism to a lot of mudguard user's posts. I am with Boris in that getting dirty and then washing and cleaning is a part and parcel of the ride.

But then I do this for fun

early laps part 2.jpg

Top Bottom