Mudguards on front suspension Mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello everyone, you may recall last week I was considering selling my Specialized Myka Elite as our plan to take up mountain biking hadn't really taken off.

Well, having had to use it as a back up bike for the last week (Due to my Dawes Sonoran having a service) I've decided to turn it into full time commuter.

This plan rather depends on being able to fit proper mudguards though. I have some clip on ones at the minute, but they weren't really adequate to cope with some of the weather I had to contend with last week. Theres a threaded hole on the back of the thingy that goes across the suspension fork, but it doesn't go all the way through. Will I be able to to fit mudguards on here?

I'd also like to put a chainguard on, I've been getting very dirty legs, is this possible?

Crankarm

Guru
I have fitted a full front 60mm wide SKS mudguard to my Kona Kula. You would be mistaken for thinking it was an OE fitment mudguard. I got a set from Merlin. Rear is good too.

Chain guard/cover is not possible if you have a triple chainset and rear deraillieur. You can if bike is set up with internal hub gear or single speed. A rear mudguard will do wonders to keep crud off you and else where.

HTH.

C.

Nebulous

Guru
I commuted for a year on a hardtail mountain bike, and fitted a Topeak Defender.
It fitted well, and I felt was very effective. It has a plug which screws into the bottom of the suspension fork to hold it in place.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use Giant mudguards on my front sus. hybrid, my friend uses SKS chromoplastics on his, they seem good id buy SKS next time :smile:

AFAIK you need to check the suspension forks have the mount point at the top in the part that goes accross and that theres points on the bottom of the forks to mount the stays. Me and 2 friends all have full guards on our front sus. hybrids :smile:

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

Looking into it online last night I found a few people had needed to add p clips to make is work.

The bridge on the suspension fork has a threaded hole but it doesn't go right through.

Muster Paul, I can turn off my suspension, but TBH the roads in Sheffield are so bad I sometimes have it on a bit!

Top Bottom