Mudguards on, mudguards off, mudguards on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Raleigh Airlite's can't take guards, not even Raleigh's own. I had Raceblades on mine and they did OK.

Me, I've got a 'bad weather bike' with guards (1986 Raleigh Team). That's fine getting wet.

I'll fit them to the main bike if it's a club run/training session, otherwise it'll be the Raleigh Team that gets used.
I have raceblades on my Raleigh Airlite 100 but had to concede defeat and get the LBS to fit them after having spent an afternoon trying to do so myself. Luckily I bought a summer bike a month or two ago and that goes out now without guards. But only in dry conditions. When it's wet I stay at home. Not particularly looking forward to putting the summer bike away later this year :-(

MichaelO

Veteran
I put mudguards on for the winter last year (2012/13), but just couldn't be bothered with all the tinkering, rubbing and generaly annoyance this last winter. Can't say I noticed a big difference in how wet I got - the amount coming down from the sky more than made up for any spray off the roads. Just meant more "me" time cleaning the bike more regularly :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just don't follow this, I just specify mudguards at time of purchase, then job's a good un.
Not yet needed to take em off.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Raleigh Airlite's can't take guards, not even Raleigh's own. I had Raceblades on mine and they did OK.

Me, I've got a 'bad weather bike' with guards (1986 Raleigh Team). That's fine getting wet.

I'll fit them to the main bike if it's a club run/training session, otherwise it'll be the Raleigh Team that gets used.
Got myself an Airlite last year as a winter bike, put Roadracer 2's on and they fit really well. Sounds like you're a big Raleigh fan DC !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had roadracers on my Langster however they are kaput so will need to buy something else soon. Have a dry weather stealth bike for the good days anyway and the Langster is my crap weather bike whatever time of year.

davdandy

I hate mudguards but understand why i sometimes need them.I will be looking for a set for upcoming sportives where the use of guards in mandatory when riding in a group.Also most club rides insist on them too.But i also want to remove them when the good weather returns and don't want the faff off bolting them on and off and on and off all the time so am looking for the simplest set to attach.I have heard about both the raceblades and cruds,ideas anyone?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@MickeyBlueEyes - I like my Raleigh's yes. But then I'm from Nottingham :thumbsup:

Currently I've:

1986 Raleigh Team
2000 Raleigh SP150 MTB
broken 2012 Raleigh Airlite 100 :cry:

Cookie56

I've just spent a large part of today "fitting" SKS mudguards to my boardman team hybrid (already fitted with topeak rack).
The combination of the rack and disk brakes reminded me why I suffered a 4 year apprenticeship and then a mechanical engineering degree !!!
The results seem very functional but a little "Heath Robinson" with all the bendy wire :whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Never ever ridden or will ride with mudguards. So unpro
Pros were using clip on ass savers in the giro and MSR. they also have a car following them with spare bikes, food etc .Wheres yours ?
And Pros will use mudguards on training base mile rides :thumbsup:
ass-savers-10-percent.jpg

Top Bottom