Mudguards on, mudguards off, mudguards on...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Anyone else had to put theirs back on due to the rain. Depressing.

I've put new guards back on my Giant Defy, the last set fell apart after two years of winter use. These were shiny black ones, bought for a discount from http://www.veloecosse.com/productdetails.asp?productid=12971

Usually takes an hour to install them, that is if you can get the bolt off that goes from the back of the forks into the brake assembly - unfortunately the bolt was completely glued to the inside of the forks - mud and muck meant it was not budging. I was not sure if it was threaded or not.

After an hour or so of frustration and gallons of lube on the joints, I decided to start bashing the bolt out which eventually worked. A complete time burglar.

I don't like having the mudguards on, but it's much nicer that a wet rear end.

I hope the summer comes soon.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
Not me, I have a few bikes to choose from and one has the guards on all the time.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mudgaurds stay on the commuter all year round , heck i always carry a pack a mack, leggings and overshoes when commuting as you can never tell what the weather going to do in 9 hours time.

The link is not working but I take it from the time fitting it was full guards, I invested in SKS Raceblades long this year and although they are off the bike in my current location, I left the brackets fitted untill recently so it only took seconds to refit. If I was back up in Edinburgh I don't think the brackets would ever come off :rolleyes:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have mudguards from about October through to Easter.

Then, if rain's forecast a BBB roadcatcher thing which attaches to the seatpost does a good job of keeping my bum dry. Shoes still cop it, though.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stay on. Just choose carbon bike on dry days and then if not needing heavy lock etc. mudguards the one think I wouldn't even attempt to fit myself!

RebornBumbler

I've got SKS X-Blade (rear) and Mud-X jobs - the rear just clips onto the seatpost and the front is a couple of rubber straps to the downtube - they take about 30 seconds to fit/remove.
Not the sort of coverage you get (front especially) with a full touring-type setup though and might be tricky to fit without v-brakes... or with a rack...

My gear cables also rub against the front guard mounts, but it doesn't cause problems.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Mine stay on all year. It rains in summer too, and they can also be handy if your local farmers move dairy herds along the road twice a day.

If you want to make mudguard removal easier, replace the allen nuts on your brakes with Problem Solvers Fender Nuts. These are threaded for a 6mm bolt on the inside, so you can just bolt the mudguards straight on to the nut rather than taking the brake off.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Does it not rain more in the summer than any other of the seasons?

Obviously it does in Yorkshire, Im talking about the UK here :smile:

Top Bottom