Mudguards - plastic or aluminium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bedrock

I plan on buying some full mudguards for my mountain bike. It will be used on the road only, for commuting purposes. Looking at what's available, it would seem that most mudguards are plastic or "metal effect". Are these any good? Are more rigid aluminium ones available, and if so how much would they cost? Also, do you think it necessary to have a flap to catch spray? Thanks.

2good

Ive go brand new set of front and back crud catchers if u r interested.still in the bag.bought them 4 mtb but then bought a road bike
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/crud-race-pac-mudguard-set/

tyred

Legendary Member
I must admit to a preference for metal mudguards but finding new ones at a sensible price might be a problem.

I am a firm believer in full length mudguards fitted to both the front and rear wheels: There is nothing worse or more demoralising than getting even wetter from wheel spray on a rainy day: wet up the front from the front wheel, and a soaked back and neck from the rear wheel. With the exception of my Polo hack all of our bicycles have full length mudguards fitted, Including our two full suspension, disc braked MTBs.

The only bicycle that we have that had mudguards on when we bought it was my Falcon Explorer Hybrid, and I have fitted after market mudguards to all of our other bikes.

I haven't encountered a real problem fitting them to any of the bikes, although for the MTBs I did have to change the standard screws supplied with the kits for longer socket head bolts (Allen key type) because I fixed the mudguard stays to the brake caliper mounting points. But using bolts of the right length to suit the addition of the stays and tightening them correctly will not cause any safety or performance issues with the brake calipers.

Plastic mudguards were bought by me mainly because of the price, and for ease of adjustment to accommodate tyre clearance. If you should inadvertently pick up debris when riding the plastic mudguards will flex a lot before becoming damaged, and any creases can taken out of the plastic with the use of a hair drier. Also when I was younger and riding a bike with metal mudguards I had a serious off because a drinks can be came trapped between the tyre and guard resulting in me going over the bars.

Flaps are not really essential, especially if the mudguard protrudes slightly below the horizontal centre line of the wheel, but I do like the bottom end of the front mudguards to be between the 7 O'clock and 8 O'clock position to prevent road spray coming up at me .......... I really hate this.

A few weeks ago, I obtained and fitted some additional plastic flared cups to the mudguards on two of our bikes. Unlike normal flaps theses are rigid and not flexible, and because of the slightly oversized flaring of the cups they catch an awful lot of the preipheral side spray often produced by the tyres. During the recent rainy weather I have remained drier, and therfore a lot happier when cycling.

OP
OP
B

bedrock

After asking whether to buy plastic or aluminium, I took a totally different decision and bought myself a pair of full mudguards made in STEEL. I can hear some of you guys groaning already, but I wanted cheap and strong and that is what I've got. They cost me a fiver (I'm still in Bangkok but flying back this weekend) and they will do the job. Actually, they're not that heavy, and if I want to cut some weight from my daily commute I can lose some gut instead.

Now I know you are envious...

Boris Bike

I am a firm believer in full length mudguards fitted to both the front and rear wheels: There is nothing worse or more demoralising than getting even wetter from wheel spray on a rainy day: wet up the front from the front wheel, and a soaked back and neck from the rear wheel.
Personally I'm not too bothered about not having a front one - I get spray from the cyclists in front of me anyway.

Before I got full length guards (SKS ones are pretty hard to beat btw), it wasn't the stripe up my back that bothered me, but the spray and grit in my face from the front wheel. Well, that and the constant servicing of the drive train...

jansman

Regular
Got to say SKS.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
After asking whether to buy plastic or aluminium, I took a totally different decision and bought myself a pair of full mudguards made in STEEL. I can hear some of you guys groaning already, but I wanted cheap and strong and that is what I've got. They cost me a fiver (I'm still in Bangkok but flying back this weekend) and they will do the job. Actually, they're not that heavy, and if I want to cut some weight from my daily commute I can lose some gut instead.

Now I know you are envious...

I am!

I'd love some full size steel mudguards on my MTB but can't seem to find any. SKS just look cheap to me.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have some of These which may be for sale at a reasonable price. I bought them for a bike which I never recieved & changed my order. I fitted them to the new bike, but tbh they were a bit wide. Suitable for 700 & 27" wheels upto 42mm tyres, so not sure if they would fit mtb 26" wheels :wacko:

Top Bottom