Mullet drivetrain conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Deore rear mech installed and new inner ran. It actually was pretty easy. I left the outers on, but will most likely install a shorter one at the mech end. Jtek installed, but until I shorten the outer, it's not seated properly. So tomorrow's job is the outer and indexing.

Attachments

• 20220514_214136.jpg
    20220514_214136.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 14

Ajax Bay

Guru
But most people find a front triple a pain in the ar$e.

Yes I have.
I look at any bikes I see and almost all are doubles. I'm talking road bikes, BTW.
Joe - how about sharing the protocol for the survey you carried out, and its results?
Is this an aesthetic or a weight thing? Or is this: 'most ("almost all") road bikes I see around here are doubles so obv they find triples a pain. Sounds a jump from that to your assertion. Is this a suburbia bias?

Do people who can't be ar$ed with triples think it's going to be too complex for their brain when the pressure is on? A small chainring means the cassette doesn't have to sport a dinner plate for its large sprocket and avoids the double FD having to make that 16t shift.

Have you got similar prejudices about the (un)suitability of 1x for MTBs and how "most people" find internal cables a PoA? The community needs to know.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Joe - how about sharing the protocol for the survey you carried out, and its results?
Is this an aesthetic or a weight thing? Or is this: 'most ("almost all") road bikes I see around here are doubles so obv they find triples a pain. Sounds a jump from that to your assertion. Is this a suburbia bias?

Do people who can't be ar$ed with triples think it's going to be to complex for their brain when the pressure is on? A small chainring means the cassette doesn't have to sport a dinner plate for its large sprocket and avoids the double FD having to make that 16t shift.

Have you got similar prejudices about the (un)suitability of 1x for MTBs and how "most people" find internal cables a PoA? The community needs to know.

Completely pointless thread derail, take it outside boys....

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
You're quite right. I don't know why the 'triples are a pain in the ar$e' comment was made, given the OP has chosen the double chainring option. Can one have a triple 'mullet'?

As long as the cable pull between shifter and rear derailleur matches (or something like the shiftmate works for your configuration), I don't see why not

Ajax Bay

Guru
Simple solution, then, seems to be just go for a 9sp Shimano as road and MTB cable pulls / actuation ratios are the same aiui.
But wouldn't a triple mullet be an oxymoron?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Simple solution, then, seems to be just go for a 9sp Shimano as road and MTB cable pulls / actuation ratios are the same aiui.

Fitted an 11-36 MTB cassette to my CAADX and replaced the little ring with a 34. My bottom gear is now a much more ultra-steep-Calderdale-climbs-friendly 34/36 rather than the old 36/30 - about 27% lower. That required fitting a MTB rear mech (I used a 9-speed medium cage XT mech which is moved just the right distance per click by 10 speed Shimano STI shifters) and a new chain.

caadx-new-cassette-and-rear-mech-jpg.jpg
I don't know about 9-speed road shifters, but my 10-speed Tiagra shifters work almost perfectly with that 9-speed derailleur. (I occasionally nudge the shift lever slightly more than the click to speed up a sluggish change.)

GuyBoden

Guru
I don't know about 9-speed road shifters, but my 10-speed Tiagra shifters work almost perfectly with that 9-speed derailleur. (I occasionally nudge the shift lever slightly more than the click to speed up a sluggish change.)

Shimano MTB 10 speed and 10 speed Road rear Derailleur have differing pull ratios.

The newer 10 speed Shimano Shadow MTB derailleurs won't work with 10 speed Shimano Speed Road shifters.

Obviously, your 9 speed mtb XT RD-M772 was fine.

Edit: I presume that's why they're using a Shiftmate to match the differing pull ratios in their setup in this thread.:okay:

Last edited:
OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
I had a few issues with the shiftmate and getting the outer the right length and mashed the gear cable, so set me back a day. New cable arrived today, and I will tackle the rear derailleur tonight once I'm home from work. I'm not too sure my wife will be too happy with me playing around with my bike late at night, but I want to get it finished today or tomorrow.

CXRAndy

Guru
If that suits you then good luck with it.

But most people find a front triple a pain in the ar$e.

Not if you're prepared to do it electronically. Di2 indexes as you shift up and down the cassette, eliminating chain rub. I use 50/36/26 and a 11-40 cassette setup.

Not if you're prepared to do it electronically. Di2 indexes as you shift up and down the cassette, eliminating chain rub. I use 50/36/26 and a 11-40 cassette setup.

Hmm, good point - Di2 should favour the return of optimal setups that "some people" find awkward to setup manually!

[your quoted setup sounds like mass of overlap! But again, I guess with Di2 it doesn't matter one jot?]

CXRAndy

Guru
Hmm, good point - Di2 should favour the return of optimal setups that "some people" find awkward to setup manually!

[your quoted setup sounds like mass of overlap! But again, I guess with Di2 it doesn't matter one jot?]

There is overlap but not much, you can program the setup to do dual shifting to maintain optimal ratios.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Finally got the shiftmate installed. Because of the routing Orro decided to take with their internal cabling, I have an unsightly cable loop, but oh well. Currently struggling with indexing. It will shift to lower gears, but not go higher once I'm low. That's been fun. Onto tomorrow

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1652741345577.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652741345577.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 12

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Currently struggling with indexing. It will shift to lower gears, but not go higher once I'm low.

Do you mean lower/higher gears as in gear ratios, or as in lower (smaller) sprockets/higher (bigger) sprockets?

The chain on my modded CAADX drops nicely down to smaller sprockets, but sometimes needs a little extra encouragement in the opposite direction. Once in whatever gear, it stays there, and doesn't make any unusual noises. That tells me that the indexing is almost exactly right, but not 100% so.

Top Bottom