Multimodal in Cheshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi all,

I'll soon be moving house, and will end up about 2 miles from Crewe (Haslington, for those who know the area). At present, I have a 17-18 mile round trip to work (in Central Manchester) and I'm hoping to keep doing at least some part of my new commute by bike, although I don't think I'm up to the 60 mile round trip that would be doing the whole thing by bike.

Present options are;

1) Cycle 2 miles to Crewe station, get the train to Wilsmslow, cycle 11 miles to work (reversing this on the way home).

2) Cycle the "long" bit on the Crewe side of the journey (e.g. to Holmes Chapel) then get the train to Manchester Piccadilly.

3) Forget about all this cycling stuff and get the train/walk all the way.

Advantages of 1) are that I know most of the route already, plus I'll be on an earlier train and hopefully have half a chance of getting a full size bke carried. The bike commute is also later and thus hopefully in better light.

Advantages of 2) are travelling on the bike in the country(ish) - the missus is keen on this , as she reckons it'll be safer

Advantages of 3) are that I don't have to worry about being turfed off the train because of the bike...

I'd be interested to know if anyone's doing this sort of journey, or this journey specifically, and how they've found carriage on trains etc.

I used to do cycle 1km to station, train for 25mins to Clapham Junction then cycle 12km to the office.

My working hours meant that I was always travelling out of the restricted times, and in a year I only had three problems, but could comlete my journey anyway.

I would suggest option 1, especially because of the danger of travelling along fast rural roads at commuter time! Everyone trying to make up time before they get stuck in heavy traffic? Strewth, I often feel safer cycling in the middle of London that I do along some of the roads round here. The closer traffic speed is to your speed, the better.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blooming heck, that's a bit of a move !

Crewe to Holmes Chapel - plenty of back lanes - deffo need good lights. Wilmslow / Manchester isn't such a pleasant ride - i.e. far more built up and you'd be riding a similar route to now. You could try each option out and decide what's best...

One route may be better in winter/summer - depends upon how sweatty you get from riding.... I'd be the dripping mess in the corner of the train that no-one would sit near.....

In practice of course, nothing stopping you trying all three and seeing which you prefer !
Or option 1) in and option 2) out.

I don't cycle to work as often as I could.
I love cycling back out in the evenings, it's just cycling-in in the mornings I hate, so if I could cycle home without having cycled-in in the morning I'd do it far more often.
- I don't do mornings, so getting-up earlier is a demotivator
- and I don't like going-out when it's freezing first thing in the morning
- but also it's that my route in is rural going into town, with lots of traffic once I hit town. Route out quickly gets me out of town and onto rural roads, which is so much more pleasant I often take different routes home, extend it, explore
- going in is against the clock because I need to be in for a certain time, so I follow the shortest/quickest route. Going home can take as long as I want within reason, so have the luxury to extend or vary the route as I like

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you can cycle from home to alderley edge you'll save a few quid on the fare (i think it's same as from wilmslow but it's been a while…). try cycling to holmes chapel, then when that's easy go to goostry, then ae. the roads are pretty pants from ae-manchester.

if you can make it as far as bramhall, the train fare is loads cheaper, apparently.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
andy_wrx said:
In practice of course, nothing stopping you trying all three and seeing which you prefer !
Very true - I really don't want to go back to getting the train all the way unless I have to (i.e. I can't get the bike carried on the train, and Mrs. Monkey puts her foot down about another bike (folder) - why she doesn't see that the Dahon Cadenza is clearly a thing of great beauty, I don't know...).[/quote]
Or option 1) in and option 2) out.
Might try this, although I'm used to getting a season ticket for the train (from when I did my current commute by train only) - I'm probably limiting my options by doing that, although it's cheaper than daily tickets.

I love cycling back out in the evenings, it's just cycling-in in the mornings I hate, so if I could cycle home without having cycled-in in the morning I'd do it far more often...

I love the morning commute at the moment - sets me up for the day, it does :sad:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
I would suggest option 1, especially because of the danger of travelling along fast rural roads at commuter time! Everyone trying to make up time before they get stuck in heavy traffic?

That's what I'm thinking - at least city traffic doesn't move faster than the bike (most of the time) although Wilmslow Rd to Cheadle is going to be... interesting ;)

fossyant said:
Blooming heck, that's a bit of a move !
You're telling me :biggrin: Family reasons basically - should be miles better for most things, other than me getting to work :sad:
Crewe to Holmes Chapel - plenty of back lanes - deffo need good lights. Wilmslow / Manchester isn't such a pleasant ride - i.e. far more built up and you'd be riding a similar route to now.
I'd not thought of the lighting - that probably means the "rural" side of this is out for now. (I've good seen by lights, but no seeing with lights).

alecstilleyedye said:
if you can cycle from home to alderley edge you'll save a few quid on the fare...

Cheers for the practical advice, Alecs. I'm thinking I can probably get away with tacking 2-3 miles on to my current distance without too much problem, don't think I could get to Alderley Edge every day yet :sad: I may look at building up the distance along the lines you suggest in the Spring/Summer though - be a nice target to aim for.

fossyant

Most of the roads outside Crewe are unlit, especially to Holmes Chapel, unless you stick to the major roads. Lights and a folder...sure the missus might be ok if you argue on cost saving. Crewe Manchester in a car is a no way...blooming awful M6, A556 and M56....

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry to dredge this one up again, but for anyone who's interested, I did my first commute from the new house today.

Basically, I went with Option 1 - bike from the house (Haslington) to Crewe Station, then the 06:35 to Wilmslow. No problem getting the bike carried, although the train is pretty empty at that time of day. Back on the bike, and a ride from Wilmslow Station to central Manchester, in all, about 13 miles actual cycling, and mostly pretty pleasant (the Crewe side is really nice, until one hits the town itself, and Wilmslow Road can be done very fast if you've a mind to at that time of day ;) ).

My intention is to reverse the journey on the way home, so we'll see how that goes :tongue:

Excellent! Is always good to hear when people can make public transport work for them, instead of blithly following convention and trying to get as close as possible to the office and then walk. Good on you JTM, I wish you well on the co mmute home too.

biking_fox

Guru
What train service are you on?

Virigin can be a bit arsey about bikes, but the two carridge local jobs are generally pretty ok.

I like the morning cycle as it wakes you up proper - esp in the cold!

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sorry, missed the replies to this one somehow :smile:

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Excellent! Is always good to hear when people can make public transport work for them, instead of blithly following convention and trying to get as close as possible to the office and then walk. Good on you JTM, I wish you well on the commute home too.

Ta - getting the train isn't such a big deal, as I've always done so into Manchester (people driving there from the Heald Green area voluntarily (i.e. they don't have to because of infirmity or a need to carry lots of stuff) are quite, quite mad). I'm impressed with the trains so far - I'm not sure how I'd go on at a busier time, or if more bikes showed up, but so far it's been fine.
biking_fox said:
Virigin can be a bit arsey about bikes, but the two carridge local jobs are generally pretty ok.
Usually Northern Rail (cycle policy is 2 bikes, first come first served) although I've also travelled with Arriva this week with no problems (cycle places are supposed to be reserved in advance).
I like the morning cycle as it wakes you up proper - esp in the cold!
Trying to keep the back wheel under control in the ice on the way to Crewe certainly required a lot of concentration :biggrin:
alecstilleyedye said:
Thank'y kindly :smile:

fossyant

Blimey mate...how long is your commute now in time........:biggrin:

Wilmslow Manchester - as you know, lots of options to get into town on bike - assuming you are dead centre. You are quite close to Crewe.

Brave to be up and out at that time - I used to be on the bike before 6.45 to cycle 20 miles to Knutsford for an 8.00am start (sometimes car) - I was alot younger then...... but that's early......... it took me a while to get used to being on a bike at 7.30am.... and I'm off it by 8........:smile:

The Crewe Wilmslow/Manchester service is pretty good - suppose by the time you are getting on at wilmslow, most of the 'commuters are off by then...

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
Blimey mate...how long is your commute now in time........:biggrin:
Leave the house between 6am and ten past, quick cycle to the station for the 6:35. Train to Wilmslow gets in around 7:10, then on the bike to work, arriving between 7:55 and 8:10am, depending on how I feel and how icy things look. So two hours, give or take - round trip is some 25-26 cycling miles, according to the computer.

Brave to be up and out at that time - I used to be on the bike before 6.45 to cycle 20 miles to Knutsford for an 8.00am start (sometimes car) - I was alot younger then...... but that's early......... it took me a while to get used to being on a bike at 7.30am.... and I'm off it by 8........;)
It's lovely - I went a bit later (arriving in Wilmslow about 7:30) one day, and the whole vibe was different, more traffic around, and way more impatient than the people I was seeing on the earlier commute. Ten past seven seems to be the ideal time to cycle on Wilmslow Road :smile:

suppose by the time you are getting on at wilmslow, most of the 'commuters are off by then...

Seems to be the case. I generally get the 18:11 from Wilmslow, and it's been pretty quiet so far.

I've an enforced break on Monday, anyway, as I managed to snap a spoke at some point on the way home on Friday, LBS can't fix it until Monday afternoon :/ I feel a bit fed up, although my legs were leaden at the end of last week, and will probably be glad of the break.

Top Bottom