1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multitasking commuter

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by DP, 3 Aug 2007.

1. DP

DP Chasse patate

On each of the past three days, I have passed a cyclist who has been reading whilst cycling along a canal towpath. It's really quite impressive - steering with one hand, holding the book in the other and, seemingly, not paying any attention to what's in front of her.

The only thing I could fault her for is her choice of reading material - Harry Potter.

2. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Amazed she didn't end up in the canal, I'm impressed.

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

doesn't sound safe does it

saw a chap with proper big headphones on today and that didn't look safe eaither

4. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Argh !

5. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I hope that when she hits someone or a car hits her she doesn't try to blame the other person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

She probably went to Hogwarts

7. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

So you also were reading the book she was holding, now that is really impressive!:rolleyes:

8. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Cripes!

I used to read as I walked to work, and I'd still sometimes almost walk into trees and lampposts; can't imagine doing it while cycling!

Having said that, I do miss being able to spend my commute into work reading - I had thought about looking into finding some text-to-speech software for my PDAPhone and have that read to me as I cycle in. It would be a bit weird though as I'd want to have it on speaker rather than headphones, and there tends to be a lot of other commuters on my route...

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

And some say listening to music (including me) is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

creep up behind with a helmet cam and an airzound :rolleyes:

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Perhaps keep slightly to one side:ohmy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. frog

frog Guest

Once saw a woman driving down the M4 reading a book propped up on the steering wheel. Only doing 80 ish so it was reasonably safe

13. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

ha ha! What a fanny. Either give her a dunt into the canal or knock the book that way. Then a barely audible "that'll teach you" to finish the move as you cycle off.

14. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Yesterday I saw a chap on a roadie holding his handlebars with one hand and holding two 6 ft planks of wood with his other (over his shoulder) on a very busy stretch of road. Very safe I am sure:eek:.

Before you ask I was driving the car at the time, so no helmet camera footage :rolleyes:

15. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Did he have a beret and a raincoat?