Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So Normal for Norfolk could be a journey to Virginia for you. Different meaning over here.

Norfolk is a nice town, large Navy base as well

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I have travelled on a train carrying a watering can, and another time carrying a very large teddy bear. I have also travelled in an open top car while I was wearing a life jacket.

I once carried two 6' racks home on the train. I had dismantled them first so I carried the pieces over a few days.

Honestly...

A while back I made a set of labels for cheap bikes, showing 55€, 75€, and 95€. This is because I've been under pressure to make "cheap" bikes, which means I should "just" check the gears and brakes work, pump the tyres, and send the bike out for sale.

Yes, I know, I tried to explain that this utopian dream doesn't work. Bear with me.

TO save a bit of time I made a set of sales tags saying clearly whet we do and don't do o these bikes. They read:

"Brakes and gears checked"
"Lighting Checked"
"Tyres Pumped up"
"Cleaned"

I'd hoped this would keep the complaints down but now a customer returned a bike to another shop for a refund. This was because "the stand is too short" (it wasn't) and "There are no lights on the bike but the label said there were."

Okay, expectations are different here: most bikes have lights, but you'd think they'd have noticed when they bought the bike?

The stand had been bent and didn't hold the bike. I've bent it back and the bike is going back to the same shop again. On balance I think the complaint about the lights may be one of the staff who keeps sending bikes back for trivial reasons.

I have now printed a new set of labels saying

"Lights Tested
(When fitted)"

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What a lovely day to be out.

IMG_0603.jpeg

MikeG

Guru
1: What sort of Plane?
2: Do you plane end to centre? Otherwise how do you avoid the corners splitting? I know it's Oak but I'd have thought it was still a risk.

It will either be the Stanley no.6, or the number 5, depending on which is sharper at the time.

I do that when there is end grain at the corners, but this will just be planing off the width along the grain, so no break-out/ spelching to worry about.

Top Bottom