Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Ah, that's a bummer.

I discovered that the item I had planned on bidding on previous weekend wasn't withdrawn. The reason it vanished was because it was put on a "Buy it Now" by the seller at a vastly inflated price as I discovered last night whilst running one of my regular searches. Shame, as I liked it, but at that price I'm not biting. £15 would be fair for a department store "own brand" item. £40 most definitely isn't. I get the feeling it will sit there gathering dust for a while.

The item was cheap enough for what it was (700c wheel with one of those Sturmey-Archer combined dynohub/drum brake). In reality, it's one of those things I'd like to try to see how it works in practice but don't really need.

Every time I ride my vintage Elswick with drum brakes, they work so well despite being nearly 100 years old, I hanker after a winter bike with drum brakes. In reality, the canti brakes on my Pioneer have stopped me successfully all winter.

tyred

Legendary Member
Been a busy day. I had taken advantage of the good weather to strip my bed and dry the sheets outside. I went and did my grocery shopping after work, then went on a very pleasant 34 mile single speed ride, taking in some new to me roads.

I had left the dishes and sorting the bed out until I returned from cycling which was a mistake as I couldn't really be bothered washing dishes and fitting sheet and duvet after a longish ride! Now done, but I was tempted to use my sleeping bag and sort it all out tomorrow!

I think I need to fit new brake blocks to my Pioneer.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think I was overoptimistic when I turned the heating down last week. It's now decidedly chilly indoors. The temperature outside is bound to rise if I warm it up inside, isn't it?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Another bright sunny day with little wind but still from the north so pretty cold.
Very cold at night due to the clear sky and I noticed last night that it looked like a full moon.
Nothing planned today but I really must get the folding mobility scooter out for more testing.
Being a short wheel base trike the steering terrifies me and needs a bit of practice as it wanders down a camber almost out of control.
It was pretty cheap tho' the battery is not too good and costs about £500 to replace. I only need a modest range of about 5 or 6 miles so it hopefully will do me but this would have to be tested in practice and is a bit of a problem as I do not wish to be stranded a long way from base with a duff scooter.

I envy @tyred in being able to find roads he has not been on before. This is only possible to me by going to the mainland.

tyred

Legendary Member
Another bright sunny day with little wind but still from the north so pretty cold.
Very cold at night due to the clear sky and I noticed last night that it looked like a full moon.
Nothing planned today but I really must get the folding mobility scooter out for more testing.
Being a short wheel base trike the steering terrifies me and needs a bit of practice as it wanders down a camber almost out of control.
It was pretty cheap tho' the battery is not too good and costs about £500 to replace. I only need a modest range of about 5 or 6 miles so it hopefully will do me but this would have to be tested in practice and is a bit of a problem as I do not wish to be stranded a long way from base with a duff scooter.

I envy @tyred in being able to find roads he has not been on before. This is only possible to me by going to the mainland.

We are blessed with a lot of minor roads around here and I have many I haven't been on. It can be difficult to know what actually is a road that leads somewhere else and not a dead end in someone's farmyard or remote dwelling. After getting a telling off for trespassing once, I stopped going down the unmarked ones in case I've got it wrong.

I read somewhere that the west of Ireland has more miles of road per head of population than anywhere else in Europe. Don't know if it is true but it's certainly believable.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
We are blessed with a lot of minor roads around here and I have many I haven't been on. It can be difficult to know what actually is a road that leads somewhere else and not a dead end in someone's farmyard or remote dwelling. After getting a telling off for trespassing once, I stopped going down the unmarked ones in case I've got it wrong.

I read somewhere that the west of Ireland has more miles of road per head of population than anywhere else in Europe. Don't know if it is true but it's certainly believable.

My experience of Irish roads, albeit quite a few years ago, was that the road on the map might change from a 'proper' bit of tarmac up to the county border before changing to a poorly maintained farm track as only one county considered the road important enough to spend money on..

Top Bottom