Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
For MikeG's chicken that isn't laying enough/any eggs!

Excellent!

The plastic ones arrive today, apparently. We've got one non-layer (and she can't jump, either. She needs lifting onto the perch every night). We've also got an egg-eater. She lays it, then eats it. So our maximum output from 4 chickens in the prime of life is 2 eggs per day.

classic33

Leg End Member
Excellent!

The plastic ones arrive today, apparently. We've got one non-layer (and she can't jump, either. She needs lifting onto the perch every night). We've also got an egg-eater. She lays it, then eats it. So our maximum output from 4 chickens in the prime of life is 2 eggs per day.
It was one of those "I saw these and thought of you" moments. Then thought the chicken might get better use out of them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Harbour Guest House has better ratings, and Glengorm is self-catering. I do not like self-catering. Although I usually eat out all the time on vacation, but never leave The States. Very attractive castle, but I would rather not put more strain on the ecology of such a place by my visiting. And I am 100% against airplanes, which narrows me down to Cunard.

I think your info may be slightly out of date. Harbour Guest House no longer exists as such and while Glengorm do let out self catering cottages the luxury market is catered for in the castle so far as I know.
They converted some of the old outbuildings but these are only let to local workers and are generally good landlords. The son of the owner went to the local primary school and was in my wife's class when she was a teacher.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We don't call tortie & white cats "calico" here in the UK. Calico is a type of fabric used for upholstering* chairs...

A tortie is a tortoiseshell. They can be black (your bog standard variety), blue (a dilute of black), chocolate (a different dilute of black), lilac (the dilute of chocolate), cinnamon, fawn (the dilute of cinnamon) or caramel (the result of a modifier gene that turns both blue and lilac to a warm slate grey). Add white to that, and it's just a tortie & white of whatever the colour is.

If the non-ginger bits are tabby as opposed to solid, then it's a tortie tabby - torbie in the US. Again, with or without white. And you have the same range of colours as above. The tabby bits can be classic (swirly pattern), mackerel (tiger stripes), spotted or ticked (like the pattern on a rabbit)

The rule of thumb when it comes to white on a tortoiseshell cat, is that the more white you have (as a result of the white spotting gene), the more "patched" the colours on the cat become. So you get bigger and more distinct areas of colour as opposed to the brindle mingling you get on a tortoiseshell that has no white on them at all.

* my father ran an upholstery workshop. I grew up around fabrics, leather, tools and furniture :blush:

P.S. Tell Mrs GA that at least cats don't chew the furniture. Or your shoes ;)

We always had cats but never knew the subject could get so complicated.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Windy day and a bit damp but not actually raining.
Just been out checking my bin but since it is less then half full it can wait for a week or two.
Slept in this morning as a bit knackered after a few busy days with early rising.
I notice the yacht that was anchored in the Diorlinn has upped anchor and moved off. Very nice anchorage but the bad weather is not encouraging.
email allegedly from Google this morning warning that my devices are at risk from viruses which can cause all sorts of problems. Just click this link and all will be well.
Dump.
I used to be involved with things like Sportives and the Mull one is June 2nd which is a bit unfortunate as I hope to be off on 3rd.
I do have a booking but you can never be 100% sure until on board nowadays.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from a grey, overcast and blustery Suffolk. Coffee & breakfast done so bring on the rest of the day.
With any luck this breeze will have dried out the garden enough to get the grass cut later on today as it seems to have put on quite a growth spurt over the past week.
I'm going to wear my shorts today.
If it's anything like it is here today, you'll get cold knees unless you're wearing very long socks.

Top Bottom