Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe the 'someone else' they chose changed his/her mind, so they have had to readvertise? Makes me wonder why they didn't contact you to see if you were still interested though.

I wondered that, they moved pretty fast though of that's the case: interview; offer; rejection re-advertising, in the space of 24h.

ETA: Other possibility is that someone else had been offered the job by the time I applied on the 26th, then cancelled yesterday on the 27th.

I'll take it to the Emp. Agency on Monday and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
I had a group interview a couple of months ago with five of us interviewing for one position. Not one of us got the job. The person giving me feedback said they group interview three or four times before they find their 'ideal' person. 🙄

That is the other possibility. The thing is, there aren't that many people with my qualifications and they generally don't want to work in this area.

Well, I went to see that Claud Butler yesterday. Had to take a load of garden waste anyways, so figured I could just as well.

@raleighnut was right - it did have 26 inch wheels. 14 inch frame, but with that geometry, it was too big for me. :cry:

Was the age old problem of the top bar being too high and me being smacked where I don't want to be smacked every time I stopped. Steerer tube would've wanting some serious cutting down as well, as the front end was too "tall". Other than that, it would've been ideal. Drat.

Would've been a nice project for a ground-up rebuild. Shame. Never mind, with patience, I'll find what I'm looking for...

On the flip side, the bods at the tip now know how to measure for frame size. They had no idea it was that simple. :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
What time did you find your way in?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well, I went to see that Claud Butler yesterday. Had to take a load of garden waste anyways, so figured I could just as well.

@raleighnut was right - it did have 26 inch wheels. 14 inch frame, but with that geometry, it was too big for me.
Nah that is a 'quill' stem, you just undo the bolt a bit and whack it with a Nottingham screwdriver, that frees off the clamping wedge and allows the whole stem to drop then you tighten the bolt up again, doesn't do much about the top tube though.

Nah that is a 'quill' stem, you just undo the bolt a bit and whack it with a Nottingham screwdriver, that frees off the clamping wedge and allows the whole stem to drop then you tighten the bolt up again, doesn't do much about the top tube though.

I take it a Nottingham Screwdriver is the same as an Irish Spanner...

How much adjustment is there in a quill stem? I'd have needed to take a good four or five inches off the height at least...

This works until the stem is short enough to push it further down. Otherwise you need a hacksaw.

I take it a Nottingham Screwdriver is the same as an Irish Spanner...

How much adjustment is there in a quill stem? I'd have needed to take a good four or five inches off the height at least...

An adjustable spanner in Germany is colloquially known as a "Englander"; I asked if that was because it was because it was flexible and useful, but my colleague said it was because it was inexact but you could hit things with it, bless him.

Top Bottom