Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

So far today, got up had coffee, did some work, went up to my fathers, loaded the car up with chipboard flooring from when I took down his conservatory last weekend, along with the carpet. Went to the tip, waited for it to open, dumped all the stuff, over to Argos to pick up a new bike cover, into Sainsbury's to buy some lemon jellies, then to the pharmacy in Tesco, back home & 2nd coffee made all before 9am. Wife still in bed, which seems a good place to be right now, we have 2 friends coming over for a BBQ tonight 1st time this year, it's going to be a very stressful day preparing, it always is, my wife seems to turn into another person when guests are coming, I just want to go hide.

Actually I'm going to add, I rather go ride more than hide, but after 2.5 weeks my back still won't let me, or at least I don't want to risk it, I'm sure that's not helping my mood, I can't think of a time this year when it's been so long between rides.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Oops! I forgot to have a shave...

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
That's not a big scary machine, this is though,

View attachment 535085
I worked in a place which used one of these, it's called a rubber mill and it's used to mix and heat up sheets of Raw Rubber before processing. Those 2 solid steel drums weigh a ton each* and ours was driven by an 80hp 3 phase motor. if you switched it off it would take it a couple of minutes to stop due to the momentum. Due to the fact it was capable of squeezing a person through it like toothpaste there was a safety device which was capable of stopping the machine in 1/6 of a revolution which was achieved by cutting power to the motor, reversing the connection of 2 of the phases then turning the power back on effectively reversing the motor. They used to test the 'emergency stop' once a week for safety purposes (Friday afternoon after all the other work had finished) and it was a sight to behold, all the lights in the factory used to dim and the whole machine rocked on it's mounts.

* for a sense of scale the drums are 18 inches in diameter and are centred at shoulder height so you could just about see over the top of them.

EDIT actually I'm wrong, one of the rollers is hollow and water cooled,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_roll_rubber_mill#:~:text=To produce the rubber used in tires, hoses,,towards each other, one faster than the other.

Yep, but a large (and it was large) chuck failing to stop was decidedly frightening!

Yep, but a large (and it was large) chuck failing to stop was decidedly frightening!

My dad told the story from his school days of a teacher spotting a student about to start a lathe with the key still in. Said teacher gathered the class around for a lesson on the importance of removing chuck keys before switching lathes on. Then switched the lathe on.
Apparently the sound of the key smashing the window was soon drowned by the cheers of the class...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I forgot to buy razor blades when I went out
My beard trimmer packed up years ago and as I had to go to a 'family gathering' I bought some razors and had a 'shave' for the first time in 20+ years, Maz saw this and said "Don't ever do that again" and bought me a new beard trimmer.

The washing machine has subsided. Perhaps it's finished its cycle, perhaps it's sulking.

It had finished. Washing is now on the line, where the warm sun and light breeze are drying it in less time than the cycle took.

In the meantime I've gone a bit wild and put the sofa cover in the washer, on the "normal" programme again...

classic33

Leg End Member
My dad told the story from his school days of a teacher spotting a student about to start a lathe with the key still in. Said teacher gathered the class around for a lesson on the importance of removing chuck keys before switching lathes on. Then switched the lathe on.
Apparently the sound of the key smashing the window was soon drowned by the cheers of the class...
He had it in reverse.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I forgot to buy razor blades when I went out
Wash your mouth out with soap after using that word.
And then, my razor ran out of power ½ way through so I had to plug it in but the plug had a loose connection so I had to take it apart and tighten the screws. By this time, I had to go out all dishevelled, but nobody commented as I cycled past them..

I shall finish my ablutions upon my return as the thingummybob will be charged by then.

Top Bottom