Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are plugging running again!
I'm not a runner especially the distances they are talking about , 3 miles. That's a bus trip. I'm a short sharp burst of speed person . I found that 100yds was too far by which time I would run out of breath. You don't see football or rugby players running all the time. They do a burst and then rest. I find it demoralising seeing an object in the distance, running for half an hour and find that you are no closer to it !
I will continue with my cycling. It's much more civilised!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yesterday I had a fairly detailed conversation about how the 6-month old fault on the roof could not be repaired because the ladders to the roof had been stolen. Apparently, or allegedly, another 6 sets of ladders to flat-roofed council blocks in the borough had also been stolen.

Mention ''complaint'' and the possession of a chain of compromising emails, and today the insuperable problem of getting onto the roof has suddenly disappeared and ''certifiable ladders'' has replaced it.

I think this comes close to using blackmail to get people to do the job they were supposed to in the first place. But only if they do the job.

I have had my food recycling bin pulled over and dragged around the garden twice in the last week by foxes. I was woken at 2 this morning by a noise at the front of my house, looked out a fox was pulling next doors food bin around trying to open it. So they are learning where a food source is now ( food bins were introduced a couple of months ago)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Grey day with heavy rain and high winds forecast tho' at the moment it is only light rain and no wind. Forecast for the immediate future looks not too bad so I may eventually get out triking.
Today is sorting and counting pills day. My wife had so many with her Parkinson's that I had to run a spreadsheet to keep control of them but my own are not too bad.
Calmac are running two small ferries here until 10th of May which limits numbers so foot passengers are advised to book as well as vehicles.
There seems to be problems with the Outer Isles as somebody was refused travel with a bicycle from Oban to Castlebay as all the spaces were full already. Too many touring bikes which was unheard of in the past. They did eventually get a Barratlantic lorry to carry the two bikes so did manage to travel on the ferry they wanted. You have to be flexible in any plans for travel here these days.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have had my food recycling bin pulled over and dragged around the garden twice in the last week by foxes. I was woken at 2 this morning by a noise at the front of my house, looked out a fox was pulling next doors food bin around trying to open it. So they are learning where a food source is now ( food bins were introduced a couple of months ago)

The foxes round my daughter's neck of the woods have learned how to open the bins. They use bricks to weight the lid down.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
We have ladder! And there's a brand new 2 pole and 4 pole rotary isolator in its box waiting to be installed. I haven't the slightest idea what that might be.
IMG_20240418_084907450.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
We have ladder! And there's a brand new 2 pole and 4 pole rotary isolator in its box waiting to be installed. I haven't the slightest idea what that might be.
View attachment 728018
That ladder should be inside the barrier, the door closed(locked on one side if double doors), and warning signs in place.
If they're trying to cover themselves. Or you could just remove the stepladder.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That ladder should be inside the barrier, the door closed(locked on one side if double doors), and warning signs in place.
If they're trying to cover themselves. Or you could just remove the stepladder.

It was the Buildings Safety Manager who yesterday told me this could not be done. The people doing the work on the roof don't appear to be overly bothered about hyper-safety.

But what if someone accidentally climbed up the ladder and fell off..? Hmm, perhaps I should remove it.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from Suffolk where it's another chilly but bright & sunny start to the day and a little less breezy than yesterday. Coffee has been drunk and a trip into town for food is required once I've had breakfast. The load of washing that's in the machine at the moment should also be finished by the time I get home so that can go on the whirlygig to dry.

One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday is that it appears that the surface dressing season has started round here. Don't know when the road in question was done, but it hadn't been swept of the excess and there were just plies of loose chippings to catch you out if you strayed even slightly off the bits already flattened by cars.

tom73

Guru
Following on from yesterday i've gone on full out science head on researching food and treat options for Charlie. The list of food and additives he can't have is complex. I've come up with a number of options, as we found out with our last dog. The market is full of "natural" free of x/y/z but not every thing is what it says. Once you take a detailed look at what's really in it. Food easier but making it taste nice is the issue. Treats is looking like home made is really only option with the odd ones he really likes from time to time. The next job is to working out recipes and what I can mix into his food to make it taste nice.
More thinking and reading is needed for know it can wait till later this week. For now I need to work though what i've got.

Top Bottom