Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Flapjack is synonymous with pancake in Americanese, What you appear to have there is a bar cookie or granola bar.

What a flapjack is is pretty universal in its UK meaning but small lumps of bread are far more confusing
https://britainexplained.com/from-baps-to-barmcakes-strange-names-for-bread-rolls/

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Weather today still making up it's mind what to do. Probably a day for a walk as being cooped up indoors drives me even madder than usual.
Strange email this morning. It just said "HENRY don't miss out " and then "this message has no content".
I do know somebody called Henry but this has no connection and I did not even check the sender before binning it.
What on earth is that all about?

Waiting on a GP phone call between 0900 and 1000 before I can go out anywhere.

To add to the bread confusion we only get proper rowies in Aberdeen and the north east of Scotland. An inferior type are called butteries. Slightly flaky with a high fat content and rowies I suspect have more butter. Yum.

Last edited:
Here is Foxy Loxy taking a drink last night.

foxyloxy2.JPG

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Good morning from a grey, overcast, cool & breezy Suffolk. So far since I've been awake, the ran has avoided this area although it's still damp from what we had yesterday evening and overnight. Despite the risk of hypothermia I've decided to go to Snetterton for both days of the Historic Sports Car Club meeting so I need to pop out later for some food/snacks to take with me.

Today's grumble - £10.40 of 'service charges' levied by AXS tickets on a £34 ticket to see Public Service Broadcasting later in the year.Bloody rip off, but as the sole ticket agent for the venue no option but to pay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MrsF had to do a fair bit of the tent pitching yesterday. I'd managed to slice my thumb open when packing the car in the morning. Patched up with a plaster but when putting the tent pegs in, it opened up and was bleeding everywhere. She zipped in the ground sheet and put in the poles whilst I pegged out.

Chatted to the owners and they said they would have helped if needed when she saw the state of my hand. Said we just about managed. At least the tent is blood free.

tom73

Guru
What a flapjack is is pretty universal in its UK meaning but small lumps of bread are far more confusing
https://britainexplained.com/from-baps-to-barmcakes-strange-names-for-bread-rolls/

It's way more complex than that Elizabeth David has a whole book on English Bread and Yeast Cookery. Which I have a copy and it's a weighty book covering every thing from history of grain and ends with a chapter on history and development of toast.
British food history in general is so rich, diverse, wide ranging and massively over looked. Prof Annie Gray is one of the most well known food historians and always interesting to hear. Mary-Ann Boermans of bake off fame has done a lot of work on history of baking. Her book Great British Bakes is a great book full of history and forgotten recipes. I keep saying I will bake my way though it , but never get round to it though I have baked some of it. She has a blog also full of great bakes.

Top Bottom