Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
@biggs682 Theres about 150yards of Spectacle Lane been gritted up now.. (not the bit down to the ford, though!)

DSC_4453~2.JPG

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Tea strainers are surprisingly difficult to find. Sieves in all shapes and sizes except the ones that fit a mug or a cup. Loose tea technology has become rather a niche affair.

tom73

Guru
A local historian posts regularly on Bookface about notable residents.

This morning's short article was about somone interested in telegraphy. In 1911, he made his own Morse Code machine, with headphones, then walked up a nearby hill at midnight to communicate with someone in Paris.

Reminds me of a mate of my dads he was into electronics in the early days, his dad was able to get hold of broken TV sets. His mate had TV sets and part of TV's set up in loft and connected to the many ariels on his house. They all pointed in different directions and at different heights. My dad and his mates use go round and watch TV broadcasts from all over europe. They even managed to pick up TV broadcasts from Russia and Eastern Europe. Which given this was late 40's early 50's most people had no idea what was going on behind the iron curtain. My Dad use to say other than some of French none of them had a clue what was being said. But still found it interesting and fun. I still find it pretty cool being able to do stuff like that at time when mass technology was still in it's early days.

It's a grey and chilly day here chez Casa Reynard, but the forecast rain hasn't materialised.

Slept OK, but lady issues are making me feel rather meh. I have spent the day (so far) re-jigging the fridges in the kitchen & utility room, furkling for ingredients for tonight's supper, doing some proof reading and watching the snooker.

I know I have an excess of tea strainers in a cupboard somewhere as the late and unlamented male parental unit insisted on having (and using) them. However, I much prefer to use an infuser doodad in my pot, as it's far less faff than a tea strainer.

ExBrit

Über Member
It's a grey and chilly day here chez Casa Reynard, but the forecast rain hasn't materialised.

Slept OK, but lady issues are making me feel rather meh. I have spent the day (so far) re-jigging the fridges in the kitchen & utility room, furkling for ingredients for tonight's supper, doing some proof reading and watching the snooker.

I know I have an excess of tea strainers in a cupboard somewhere as the late and unlamented male parental unit insisted on having (and using) them. However, I much prefer to use an infuser doodad in my pot, as it's far less faff than a tea strainer.

Infusers rock!

I feel really :cold:

tom73

Guru
Today is World Penguin day , Mrs 73 loves them and all things penguin she even a penguin tattoo. She's seen a number of them in the wild from watching penguin parade (https://www.penguins.org.au/attractions/penguin-parade/) to seeing them off the coast of Africa. They really are a diverse bunch from the tiny little penguin to the mighty emperor penguin.

Who would have ventured to have surmised that birds might have existed which used their wings solely as flappers... as fins in the water and front legs on the land, like the penguin...' 'Yet the structure of each of these birds is good for it, under the conditions of life to which it is exposed, for each has to live by a struggle.' ... Darwin 'The Origin of Species'

Or as John Ruskin put it ... One can't be angry when one looks at a penguin.

One fun fact , Chinstrap penguins take more than 10,000 micro-naps a day so they can stay vigilant and guard their eggs.

GLwlyEcWsAAnzZs.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry sunny day again so far as weather is concerned.
My current disposition is not particularly sunny tho' due to trike problems.
The kettwiessel evo steps has suddenly developed what I suspect is an electronic problem. The motor runs and changes output on demand but shuts off every time I stop. Worse still the Alfine hub does not change gear and I suspect a broken connection or broken wire somewhere. Beyond my skill to diagnose any electronic stuff.
Mebbe there is a reset button somewhere but cannot find any useful info online.
Looks like it needs to go back to Kinetics in Glasgow which is not entirely handy. In the past I would simply have driven down and back in one day as he is on the western fringe of the city and easy of access. Not too sure about that nowadays and it would probably need 2 days at least now.
There is one local carrier who may be able to take it down but not contacted him yet.

Mike_P

Guru
Tea strainers are surprisingly difficult to find. Sieves in all shapes and sizes except the ones that fit a mug or a cup. Loose tea technology has become rather a niche affair.

Look on eBay and Amazon plenty there. I got one recently fed up of having to chuck mis-pierced coffee pods with the objective next time of draining the mug of coffee of the grains. Yet to have to use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom