Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Walked to new job late morning to sort out ID checks. 1st the signing in machine was not bring up the person I was seeing. So she had to sort it for me. Then they wanted even more ID stuff so once back found a few emails to send back. More question on my employment to sort and send off photos of driving licence and birth certificate. Only to then get one back asking for them in PDF as the pics wont copy. Typical MS school IT. Then an email re DBS which I've set up but it won't let me log in now. Have to phone them to sort it , well that's for tomorrow i've had enough for today.

this is getting old

That was a workout!
I took our friend's Raleigh Activator that I have been working on our for a test ride. It was a struggle ! The saddle was a bit low but I pressed on . Those large knobbly tyres are a real pain for road use especially on rough tarmac. I think I should claim 3 times the distance. The gears worked. The bike was designed to destroy mountains by just ploughing through them! It is built like a tank and if hit by a car would come off better. It is also designed for modern roads as I found that I didn't have to avoid potholes but just ploughed through them!
I did 12 miles . I had to stop several times to get my breath back. I think as it is it would be a great bike for dirt track or charging down a track down a hill.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dry sunny day so not too bad for travelling.
0830 ferry off island which is one I have not been on for a while.
Got a terrible shock as the passenger lift has a full length mirror on the back wall. I was first in and there was this ancient, decrepit figure shuffling towards me. Yikes no wonder people keep offering me assistance. I must make an effort to look a bit more lively.
Shopping done but cannot get booked on a ferry home so have to take the long way round to Lochaline. I have to admit that parts of this route are scenic but a lot of it is boring particularly if you have done this trip probably hundreds of times over the years. Slow traffic held me up and I missed the ferry I was aiming for by 10 minutes so had a wait of a couple of hours.
More chaos as when somebody came to collect payment. My Blue Badge and Age Concession card foxed him as he was new to the job and had to get assistance.
At the Oban terminal vast queues waiting to board and a full marshalling area for Mull. The bit for the Outer Isles was stuffed full of motorhomes.
In fact we have a better ferry service than we had in the past. The difference is that we did not have the mindless hordes of touroid and more vehicles than the roads can comfortably cope with.

Snooker is nearly finished for the afternoon. I'm off into town to get the errands erranded.

got a table in the house? I'm so amazed by professional pool players

It's ' "Let's clean the fridge today" Day' today.

good luck!
1714587811300.png

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Raleigh Activator .... The bike was designed to destroy mountains by just ploughing through them! It is built like a tank and if hit by a car would come off better. It is also designed for modern roads as I found that I didn't have to avoid potholes but just ploughed through them!

My old GT Timberline was the same. Absolutely rock solid. But heavy.

Mike_P

Guru
Another sunny end to the day and the ebike had an unexpected mid week visit to the cycle stands at Waitrose. Was hoping to find something free with a Sudoku in it but no in store newspaper or copy of today's Times left. Picked up another single banana and it looks like a race between it and the M&S ones as to which will be eaten tomorrow
Nice non stop ride back albeit with foot on ground pushing along on a narrow lane due to the incompetence of a Audi driver. Suppose it could have been the same one who clearly had no idea what an indicator was causing me to stop unnecessarily outbound at a roundabout.

Top Bottom