Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've never seen thatched rooves like that at all. I thought they must be peat rooves.

And I've never seen the glorious phrase ''burglariously entered'' before either.

There's a layer of peat under the thatch.

I am using my new iPhone and slowly getting used to it. I haven't done much ! A bit of looking on FB and taking a few photos. The playback of the photos is a bit disconcerting! Hey! That just moved! It's a bit unexpected to see things move at the beginning of what would be a still photo. I made a phone call this afternoon using it . It was a surprise! Just afternoon I rang the number and immediately heard the dialing tone. My old Whoarewe would take an age to switch on and then do the same just to tell me that there was no network! You can see why I just wanted to drop it into a bucket of water. It also used up the battery quickly and took hours to charge.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not a bad day after all - despite a bit of an easterly breeze it warmed up enough in the afternoon to just about get away with a short sleeved cycling top. Having done a morning shopping trip, a short coffee & toast break allowed me to get out just in time to enjoy the sunshine and some very quiet roads while everyone else was concentrating on the Ipswich football match.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't recall seeing thatched rooves without a ridge before now. Interesting. Those bits of straw over the apex are laying almost horizontally, which makes them very vulnerable. One suspects that wind is a bit of an issue, too, given the network of hazel rods and twine holding the straw down.

They do look rather like hair nets keeping the thatch in place.

Gwylan

Veteran
Mundane news alert:

I dropped a large sash clamp on my foot an hour ago. I can barely stand........and the dog needs to go for a walk.

Ooh! That hurts deep.

I repaired and refurbed the sash windows in a 3 story Victorian house with an order on it. Every one of them took at least a half day.
The lead weights and rotted cord were a nightmare. Reconstructing some frames were challenges.
Oh, and I had no money.

Top Bottom