Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Location
Yorkshire
This afternoon walking through the old underground beer storage at St Pancras this afternoon felt a bit Poignant. Given the news yesterday that Carlsberg Bitvic are to close down the brewery at Burton. Ending over 200 years of history. Not only the site is going but they are also ending a number of brands inc Marston's and Bass. The brewery and brands that once filled it.
 

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I was in Pontefract this morning, & there were bras hanging from the railings outside the old Court House

At first I thought that the girls of 'Ponte-Carlo'' had been partying.........

But no
See the BBC link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm8xzjyg9rggo

The same was in Ossett, although they're attached to the town hall railings..

This afternoon, after my mini pump failed when needed on a ride this morning along with a club-mate's which also didn't work, I checked the collection of mini pumps I have. Another three are in the bin, including the one that's been attached to my commuter bike for the past two years. My guess is that rain and dirt have got in and degraded the materials.

And I also bought two fence brackets.


SWMBO's away again and my life is really exciting.
 

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Location
Armonmy Way
This afternoon walking through the old underground beer storage at St Pancras this afternoon felt a bit Poignant. Given the news yesterday that Carlsberg Bitvic are to close down the brewery at Burton. Ending over 200 years of history. Not only the site is going but they are also ending a number of brands inc Marston's and Bass. The brewery and brands that once filled it.
Carlsberg have now shut Tetleys, Jennings, Ringwood, Wychwood, and Banks, with Marstons next on the list. That's some record for demonstrating they don't have the slightest idea what to do with smaller regional brewers and cask ales.
 

tom73

Guru
Location
Yorkshire
Carlsberg have now shut Tetleys, Jennings, Ringwood, Wychwood, and Banks, with Marstons next on the list. That's some record for demonstrating they don't have the slightest idea what to do with smaller regional brewers and cask ales.

Yes they sure have form for this every time they take over things they can’t wait to put the for sale sign up. Diageo big trun round plan is investing in key brands. Carlsberg’s plan is to go the other way. Hence why they bought britvic. The beers that they are keeping look to be ones with stand out bottle designs. Tasteless but look good on side of vans. This will effect many smaller breweries as they send beer to be bottled at Marstons bottling plant which is also going.
 

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Location
Felixstowe
Today has been possibly the least active afternoon & evening I've had for some time. Once I'd got everything sorted for tomorrow I just stuck 5Live on the radio for the football and parked myself on the sofa with a pint of squash and Private Eye to read. Even tea was a minimum effort leftovers job - the last of a bag of frozen chips into the air fryer and some rolls from the freezer toasted and filled with the chips.

An early hot chocolate has been had and George Russell has just crashed (on the recording I'm now watching).
 

Reynard

Legendary Member
It's been a chilly, blustery and occasionally sunny day here chez Casa Reynard.

Slept well, and got a good eight hours. Downstairs, fed the cat, made myself a :cuppa: and took it upstairs to curl up in a comfy spot and listen to the sprint race from Singapore. There may have been a custard cream-related snaccident. Also listened to Arsenal v Leeds. Sorry about the result, @deptfordmarmoset

Had a lovely luncheon of a big bowl of beetroot soup, and a chunk of homemade cheesy garlic bread.

Listened to the F1 qualifying, and then toddled off walnutting. Not much luck, as it's the end of the season. I should've gone last week, but sometimes other stuff has to be done first. But just as I was heading home, a lady came out of a nearby cottage with a bag of walnuts for me, explaining that she had a big walnut tree in her garden and far more then she could use.

It was a sweet gesture, and I shall drop by a jar of homemade jam as a thank you.

Have had a quiet evening watching the two Deathly Hallows films.

A lovely supper of congee with greens, ginger, smoked basa and an egg. Made too much, so I have lunch for tomorrow too.
 
Top Bottom