Music Downloads (MP3)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

Looking for a good site to download some tunes for my MP3, been using Blubster but it's starting to mess up my PC with too many pop ups, how does Spotify work ? do you have to pay ? what's eveyone using ?

BearPear

Veteran
You can't download from Spotify.
I am a law-abiding citizen and use the ubiquitous iTunes, my children, however are feral beasts and they use Limewire, YouTube downloader or via a Torrent site (sorry, don't speak teen so not sure which Torrent site to recommend.) I pay, they don't.

Jezston

Über Member
lifeson said:
I use http://www.gomusic.ru
You have to pay $30 upfront (about £20) but each song is only 9c

You may as well get them for free from a pirate source - it's just as dodgy. You'll be ripping yourself off, as well as the artist. Like it's more famous predecessory AllOfMP3 it exploits a loophole in Russian copyright law - these sights claim to be collecting money to be distributed to the artists, but in reality the artists have never given permission and they never see a penny.

-

I used to have an emusic.com subscription, but sadly increasing number of artists and labels were pulling out of it. And now Amazon does MP3 downloads, so I use that.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Amazon. DRM free, never had any probs. xx(

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I signed up with an outfit called emusic mainly because they were giving away, through The DT, Altec Lansing speakers for MP3 players. I had to pay for one month as the speaker hadn't arrived and I thought they wouldn't send it. They were ok and when the free downloads were over I went to cancel and got another free month, cancelled after that anyway.Think I paid £10 and I got 65 tracks and a free speaker.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
On the version of Spotify I use, you can download most tracks (linked-in service from 7 digital). But you can listen to them online as often as you want for free (if you don't mind the ads).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Originally I ripped my CD collection onto my player, then I've just been adding all of the CDs and tracks I get sent to me by various bands who want played on the podcast.

For free music, try sites like Jamendo - none of the artists are in the mainstream and most are independent & unsigned, but there's some amazing stuff on there if you take the time to find it.

Subscribe to a few independent music podcasts too - plenty of free music to listen to on a regular basis!

I'm also paying for Spotify Premium at the moment - means no more annoying ads when listening to the music, plus I can use my phone as a portable player to listen to Spotify. Rather than incur data charges, you can 'download' music for listening to offline. Of course, the music's only available offline for as long as you stay a subscriber....

lifeson said:
I use http://www.gomusic.ru
You have to pay $30 upfront (about £20) but each song is only 9c

You may as well get them for free from a pirate source - it's just as dodgy. You'll be ripping yourself off, as well as the artist. Like it's more famous predecessory AllOfMP3 it exploits a loophole in Russian copyright law - these sights claim to be collecting money to be distributed to the artists, but in reality the artists have never given permission and they never see a penny.

I agree, although paying the same amount of money as a cd for a compressed download album from itunes and their many competitors for a lesser quality product always seemed like madness to me. I usually buy the cd and rip it to the computer.

For singles I buy downloads and usually go for amazon or play.com and I've bought albums from amazon when they are on special offer for two or three pounds.

JimtheScot

Looking for a good site to download some tunes for my MP3, been using Blubster but it's starting to mess up my PC with too many pop ups, how does Spotify work ? do you have to pay ? what's eveyone using ?

a friend of mine uses Pirate Bay, heard it's illegal so you best steer clear, even though there is no spyware, pop ups or anything else nasty. So i've been told. He's now got 80gb worth of music and not paid a penny. I refuse to listen to it (because it's illegal), plus i won't watch his free movies (blue ray ones too) or play his free games. So as i said, best keep away and keep paying.

Top Bottom