Music in TV Shows

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is that not the way with most TV shows, they always try to push an extra series or two out of the contract where they'd be better going out on a high
In this case it's the fault of the author of the source material. The first book's 25 years old, the most recent is 10 years old. It was supposed to be a trilogy but it's seven volumes now with two more planned and he just will not finish it but he does manage side projects and other stuff.

He's a grifter.

Apparently, adverts are a bit louder so you can still hear them from the kitchen when you pop out to make a cuppa.
Apparently they only sound louder.

Any whilst we are complaining about TV, why do programs never start on time. During 1970s you could set your watch by the start time . Now most programs start 3 mins late, some up to 5 mins late. The pre program padding includes all of that previewing of forthcoming programs. This could easily be rejigged to start on time bit for some reason they dont.
You cant bank on a 3 min delay. If there is something you really want to see and you are running late, guess when it starts....

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think the ending was not unexpected and they could have done Bran but properly. But the series as a whole was rushed and all over the place.

Have you read the books? They go on, and on, and on, and they're locked into a narrative structure which increasingly doesn't work. There's a decent story in there, maybe a trilogy as first intended, but they are crying out for a decent editor. The trouble is, GRRM absolutely idolises JRRT so he feels it's his duty to write an epic in the style of LotR but exceed it in tedious drudgery at every turn. And despite Neil Gaiman's protestations he is milking his fans by refusing to just sit down and finish the bloody thing. He's not a good writer.

I read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I read up to the red wedding and didn't want to read on beyond the TV shows at that point, but never went back. The guy does need a good editor...and a bicycle!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Is that not the way with most TV shows, they always try to push an extra series or two out of the contract where they'd be better going out on a high

That's also why I'm very nervous about a new series of Sex and the City. It was iconic in my 20s but the movies were travesties. But I so want them to get it right.

Dag Hammar

Not so much a moan about music during the programme but the quantity of adverts that are imposed upon us and the BBC also advertise, albeit their own programmes and products.
I get around the advert nuisance and take delight in doing so by recording anything that I want to watch onto my Virgin TiVo box. This gives me the advantage of watching when I choose to rather than when the programme is live but the best bit is spinning quickly past all those adverts and the nonsense that is at the beginning of a programme showing clips and telling me all about the programme I’m just about to watch.
The time saved doing the above gives me more time to read posts on CC 👏👏👏

winjim

Smash the cistern
I read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I read up to the red wedding and didn't want to read on beyond the TV shows at that point, but never went back. The guy does need a good editor...and a bicycle!
'Just skip ahead a few pages here George, we don't need to know exactly what every character had for breakfast'. If they left out all the detailed descriptions of food and clothing I reckon they could cut it down by about a quarter.

I really lost interest when a bard manages to fend off an attack from a pack of savage dogs by playing them a soothing song on the lyre. That might work in a video game or something but in this sort of book it's just silly. And everyone starts singing 'hey nonny nonny' all the time which is even sillier and reminds me of Blackadder.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

In this case it's the fault of the author of the source material. The first book's 25 years old, the most recent is 10 years old. It was supposed to be a trilogy but it's seven volumes now with two more planned and he just will not finish it but he does manage side projects and other stuff.
It was a more general thought rather than specific at GOT, most series go at least one more than the writers are capable of.
That's also why I'm very nervous about a new series of Sex and the City. It was iconic in my 20s but the movies were travesties. But I so want them to get it right.
I wasn't aware they were doing a new one, is it new actors, or the same now later in life?
I get around the advert nuisance and take delight in doing so by recording anything that I want to watch onto my Virgin TiVo box.
We never use the ITV Hub specifically because of that, they won't allow ad skipping, so everything 'live' is recorded & watched back. On a similar vein, wife watched 2 hours of dancing on ice in 35 minutes the other day after she did her own editing of what was relevant.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think they might mix the sound to be listened to in an 'ideal' environment, forgetting that we don't all have super duper home theatre surround sound systems and often listen through the crappy speakers on the back of the telly.

This is true. The sound engineers are mixing and editing in a state of the art sound studio.

Most of us are watching on a flat tv with tiny speakers.

stephec

Legendary Member
When you watch some of the stuff from the 70s it is not only the fashion styles and the moral attitudes that grab your attention, but also some of the truly awful incidental music.

No way, you can't beat those American cop shows with their boom chicka wah wah. 😂

One notable exception has got to be The Sweeney, that always seemed to use music wisely.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... TV programmes should really be produced to look and sound decent on the cheapest, crappiest piece of junk they're likely to be watched on.
Years ago i did a sound recording course... in front of the mixing desk in the studio was a very expensive pair of speakers we used, plus a really cheap pair used for checking the final mix, because most people listen on cheap speakers
Not so much a moan about music during the programme but the quantity of adverts that are imposed upon us and the BBC also advertise, albeit their own programmes and products.
I get around the advert nuisance and take delight in doing so by recording anything that I want to watch onto my Virgin TiVo box. This gives me the advantage of watching when I choose to rather than when the programme is live but the best bit is spinning quickly past all those adverts and the nonsense that is at the beginning of a programme showing clips and telling me all about the programme I’m just about to watch.
The time saved doing the above gives me more time to read posts on CC 👏👏👏
Download torrents instead... all the adverts get snipped out by the uploader so you don't even have to skip through them :okay:

'Just skip ahead a few pages here George, we don't need to know exactly what every character had for breakfast'. If they left out all the detailed descriptions of food and clothing I reckon they could cut it down by about a quarter.

I really lost interest when a bard manages to fend off an attack from a pack of savage dogs by playing them a soothing song on the lyre. That might work in a video game or something but in this sort of book it's just silly. And everyone starts singing 'hey nonny nonny' all the time which is even sillier and reminds me of Blackadder.
You mean you DON'T like how GRRM mentions boiled leather every second paragraph?

Poor Marillion didn't deserve to be cut from the show, but that pales in comparison with them cutting Lady Stoneheart. I've still never read up to the Red Wedding, but I worked out zombie Cat Stark's existence purely by paying attention to the show. Of course, that was back when it was based on the source material and was therefore written by someone who actually understood plotting, subtlety and foreshadowing, but then they ran out of source material and it all went out the window in favour of eunuch jokes, the bloody sand sneks (you want the good girl but you need the bad- UGH) and crappy CG action set pieces.

With most other good shows with terrible endings, you can get something out of watching them, because each season has a self-contained story arc. Like in Dexter, you can rewatch and stop after season 4, as the ending to season 4 is perfect. But GoT is a colossal waste of time, effort and money, because so much of the early stuff was setting up the board for events that were meant to follow but never did.

Seven hells @winjim, you've angered me this day! MORE WINE!

DRM

Guru
Adverts are a wind up with the excessive volume, also filming in the dark so you can't see what's going on, the actors mumbling, then we get to documentaries were they expect the audience to have the attention span of a flea, so they recap everything after an ad break, and have some alleged expert, sat on a chair passing small comments before cutting back to the programme, as mentioned above Mrs DRM likes Strictly come dancing, but could get it down to half an hour by skipping the filler and other nonesense.

Top Bottom