Music recommendation thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

To change tack a bit, if you're into a bit of alt. country, go for The Scuffers, a new Glasgow band who released their first album on Saturday "The Life I've Had".

Excellent wealth of original songs, good mix of toe-tappers and slower ones.

ps La Haine is great, but not as memorable as The Great Ecstasy of...........

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

tomb1960 said:
Great thread and potentially very expensive! SamNichols I like the idea of a 'resource library' how would that work?

There are several avenues to go down:
1) The sharing of titbits, where people can suggest artists they like, or we can recommend other albums on the basis of artists people like.
2) Swapping cds - if you have something you want to swap, then you can PM another user to initiate a swap, when done with the cd the two of you can swap back. Or, if people are uncomfortable with that:
3) The Mix CD - a personal favourite of mine. Make a mix, whether themed, genred or just songs you like for another user and swap it. There's no risk of losing your cd that way and every chance that you'll get some gems.

Fnaar said:
Richard Hawley doing it for me at the mo (ie I like his music :blush:)
Excellent songwriting and tune-smithery.

you might like Cherry Ghost then.

i like Hawley, but not enough to buy his stuff... odd, he's one of those artists i can listen to on the radio, but have no desire to listen to otherwise, even though he ticks al the boxes for my taste. music can be weird at times.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks for the Cherry Ghost tip...just youtubed "people help the poeple"...familiar with the tune from the radio, didn't know who it was....will check them out a bit...Hawley's album worth getting IMHO, only 2 tracks not up to standard of rest, but they are still pretty good!

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Richie1964 said:
How about Sigur Ros? Not a new one, but their album Takk is gorgeous.

Nice album, I believe there is a documentary about them coming out soon. Facts about Sigur Ros: their lyrics are nonsensical because they are that - nonsense. They sing in a made up language. Takk is Icelandic for thank you.

Not a recommendation in any way, shape or form, but this morning I pulled out some old SKY records from the 70s and 80s and started to play them. Don't ask me why...remember them? Bizarre instrumental classical-rock fusion band featuring various accomplished classical musicians in a prog rock stylee. God I got the crap kicked out of me at school for liking them!! :blush:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Battles... there's one or two good songs on the new one, but the vocordered vocals get really irritating after a while. I missed seeing them live here despite having tickets.

I got Explosions in the Sky's last album. Underwhelmed I think is the word. It's pleasant but in no way thrilling. They don't register on the Mogwai scale for me!

I did see the single most amazing gig I have seen for ages on Friday night though - Sunburned Hand of the Man. It's not often you see a genuinely psychedelic band who can absolutely rip it up - no songs just an hour of absolutely storming flowing rolling shamanic noise and weirdness. It's the kind of thing that you had to choose to be absolutely inside it to 'get'. And the support (well, actually kind of a spin-off band), Vibrocatherdral Orchestra, were almost as good. No idea how either would sound on CD and I'm not sure I'd want to know...

GaryA

Subversive Sage
How anyone with half a brain can possibly listen to Hip-hop rap I have no idea
US, french or german it is all two simplistic cross-rhythms one electronic the other is the voice...and thats all it is!-all of it.
Interminable sh!te :blush:

You've never been to a rap gig then?
Absolutely brilliant - don't believe the hype (sic) you read in the media about rap - it's not all about guns and violence (although some of it patently is). Lots of it is social/political commentary too. The rappers I have seen perform are just incredibly inventive with words - especially when they freestyle it's just amazing. Also a good rap DJ will create wonders with their tunes/beats/breaks - it's a real skill. Anyway, rap is certainly not all drivel.

TVC

Richie1964 said:
Impossible! I am too scared to try. I LOVE Moon Safari, but was gutted when the follow up album was so rubbish!

Go on Richie, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. You are right, they did get things wrong after Moon Safari but they are back on track now. Just check out the video for Mer du Japon on their website. Guest vocals by Jarvis Cocker and Neil Hannon on Pocket Symphony as well.

The gig in Brum last night was fantastic, still buzzing

Top Bottom