Music recommendation thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Richie1964 said:
Impossible! I am too scared to try. I LOVE Moon Safari, but was gutted when the follow up album was so rubbish!

Go on Richie, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. You are right, they did get things wrong after Moon Safari but they are back on track now. Just check out the video for Mer du Japon on their website. Guest vocals by Jarvis Cocker and Neil Hannon on Pocket Symphony as well.

The gig in Brum last night was fantastic, still buzzing

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Kirstie said:
You've never been to a rap gig then?
Absolutely brilliant - don't believe the hype (sic) you read in the media about rap - it's not all about guns and violence (although some of it patently is). Lots of it is social/political commentary too. The rappers I have seen perform are just incredibly inventive with words - especially when they freestyle it's just amazing. Also a good rap DJ will create wonders with their tunes/beats/breaks - it's a real skill. Anyway, rap is certainly not all drivel.

On the free albums galore site there is a nice album by Prince Ali, a toronto based rapper. The lyrics aren't up to much in places, but it samples some nice jazzish type stuff and taps into the mid 90s chilled out hiphop that's passed from the mainstream lately, in favour of that horrible self-aggrandising bling stuff.
I do love hip hop, one of my best friends is a hip hop dj (not a backing dj, but does dj sets), and he's always on the pulse of good hip hop that isn't all bitches and hos; always useful to have him around.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Kirstie said:
You've never been to a rap gig then?
Absolutely brilliant - don't believe the hype (sic) you read in the media about rap - it's not all about guns and violence (although some of it patently is). Lots of it is social/political commentary too. The rappers I have seen perform are just incredibly inventive with words - especially when they freestyle it's just amazing. Also a good rap DJ will create wonders with their tunes/beats/breaks - it's a real skill. Anyway, rap is certainly not all drivel.

On the free albums galore site there is a nice album by Prince Ali, a toronto based rapper. The lyrics aren't up to much in places, but it samples some nice jazzish type stuff and taps into the mid 90s chilled out hiphop that's passed from the mainstream lately, in favour of that horrible self-aggrandising bling stuff.
I do love hip hop, one of my best friends is a hip hop dj (not a backing dj, but does dj sets), and he's always on the pulse of good hip hop that isn't all bitches and hos; always useful to have him around.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Flying_Monkey said:
Battles... there's one or two good songs on the new one, but the vocordered vocals get really irritating after a while. I missed seeing them live here despite having tickets.

Did you offload the tickets to anyone else? As most of the tour was sold out, it would be sad if a couple simply went out of use. Live they're revelatory by the way - the drummer is a machine, they're tight as hell and it's the bees knees.
I think that you're wrong about Mirrored by the way, the stuff is a step up from the eps and the vocals add an additional dimension to it. But, it's all subjective - in my mind it's a great album, and just looking at the track listings, there is only one or two that aren't great.

I got Explosions in the Sky's last album. Underwhelmed I think is the word. It's pleasant but in no way thrilling. They don't register on the Mogwai scale for me!

Mogwai actually don't do it for me - Come on Die Young, the first one of their albums that I got is actually fairly dull. The singing isn't up to much, and the louder ones are quite simplistic in comparison to some other Post-Rock bands (God Speed). EITS are the sort of band that should be listened to loud, not quitely. A great deal of post-rock is about crescendo, and the only way to get the impact is to turn up the volume. EITS do divide opinion, but I happen to think they're very good at what they do. Saw them live last year and really enjoyed it, will be seeing them again this January. They're curating one of the weekends of ATP this year, which if you're into festivals will be a treat.

The Crippled Black Phoenix album, featuring the bassist from Mogwai, and a member of Electric Wizard, is a very good album as well.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Flying_Monkey said:
Battles... there's one or two good songs on the new one, but the vocordered vocals get really irritating after a while. I missed seeing them live here despite having tickets.

Did you offload the tickets to anyone else? As most of the tour was sold out, it would be sad if a couple simply went out of use. Live they're revelatory by the way - the drummer is a machine, they're tight as hell and it's the bees knees.
I think that you're wrong about Mirrored by the way, the stuff is a step up from the eps and the vocals add an additional dimension to it. But, it's all subjective - in my mind it's a great album, and just looking at the track listings, there is only one or two that aren't great.

I got Explosions in the Sky's last album. Underwhelmed I think is the word. It's pleasant but in no way thrilling. They don't register on the Mogwai scale for me!

Mogwai actually don't do it for me - Come on Die Young, the first one of their albums that I got is actually fairly dull. The singing isn't up to much, and the louder ones are quite simplistic in comparison to some other Post-Rock bands (God Speed). EITS are the sort of band that should be listened to loud, not quitely. A great deal of post-rock is about crescendo, and the only way to get the impact is to turn up the volume. EITS do divide opinion, but I happen to think they're very good at what they do. Saw them live last year and really enjoyed it, will be seeing them again this January. They're curating one of the weekends of ATP this year, which if you're into festivals will be a treat.

The Crippled Black Phoenix album, featuring the bassist from Mogwai, and a member of Electric Wizard, is a very good album as well.

catwoman

Elmer Fudd said:
I am obviously of a different planet as I have not one iota of a clue what the feck you are talking about.
I will however be sending out a search party on the a.m.
If I find ought I will report back.

That feck for that 'cos I don't have a clue either!;)

Similar to Fnaar, I've had a few coffee spraying moments reading this thread. Completely over my head all of it. I must be :biggrin:

Funny though. Entertaining reading. Keep it up. :biggrin:

catwoman

Elmer Fudd said:
I am obviously of a different planet as I have not one iota of a clue what the feck you are talking about.
I will however be sending out a search party on the a.m.
If I find ought I will report back.

That feck for that 'cos I don't have a clue either!;)

Similar to Fnaar, I've had a few coffee spraying moments reading this thread. Completely over my head all of it. I must be :biggrin:

Funny though. Entertaining reading. Keep it up. :biggrin:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

If anyone fancies doing a Mix CD swap (I would say tape, but I don't have the facilities), then PM me and we shall sort it. I love a good mixtape swap.

Top Bottom