Musings on a comeback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It's been nearly two years since I sold my bikes (Though thankfully I kept the tools and kit) and nearly three since I actually rode the things. Well, it's three weeks now since I bought my Veranti and got awheel again. Some thoughts -

The Good Bit

I'm able to manage a comfortable twenty miles now, and it isn't flat round these parts.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it, the break probably did me good.

I'm getting a noticeable tan line on my legs.

The I'll Get Used To This If It Kills Me Bit

Bloody Shimano! I've always been a Campag man and these Shimano brifters are doing my head in. They shift nice enough, but if I had a quid for every time a hill has kicked up and I've hit the lever behind the brake out of habit the effing chain has gone in the wrong direction and ground my legs almost to a halt. Must concentrate!

The Bad Bit

My bike handling's shite. Probably due to both rustiness and the fact that I've had to start wearing glasses to drive as my distance vision had become marginal to illegal. I've not bothered on the bike but I think I'd better give in and wear the things. Descending a steep and narrow pot-holed road today I was bouncing around so much everything turned into a blur and it got quite hairy till I slowed right down.

Overall Verdict

A success. I have a lightweight front wheel ready to go on and I'm scouring the interweb retailers for a decent rear and some quality tyres to complete. This was meant to be a sensible return keeping the whole thing on a tight budget, but you know how it goes...:whistle:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chapeau!
Modern bikes can be a bit twitchy on the handling front due to their 'racy' geometry ... As most if us don't ride crits it's a bit pointless.
I suffer the glasses issue, it's natures way of telling me I shouldn't descend faster than my age.
Go for 25c tyres as a minimum, life will get better.

Top Bottom