Must a car have a reverse gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think the Lead Wing has one.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As you know srw (sorry:sad:), I believe insurance companies always look for the slightest reason to avoid paying out to policyholders, so your quote just confirms what I said earlier - unroadworthiness will in effect invalidate people's insurance.
Yes, which means they're driving illegally and could be prosecuted. Good news. AND the RTA would still ensure that that third party liability would apply.

IncoherentJeff

Not sure if its a requirement for modern cars, I assume all cars for sale new with in the UK have them these days possibly a few road legal kit-cars don't.
Some classics don't. Unsure if it's true but I like the old tale of people driving bubble cars into garages and getting stuck! Due to no reverse gear & a door on the front :laugh:

The guys probably either needs to repair his gearbox or he didn't put the clutch in & moved the gear stick towards a gear resulting in a grinding noise from the gear box, a childish move!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
For an MOT, all lights fitted must work. If a car has a knackered gearbox and the reversing lights doesn't work, it would be a fail. (Yes, I know lots of reversing lights are operated by a switch on the gearstick, not by the gearbox itself)

sidevalve

Über Member
Don't Gold WIngs and some Harleys have a reverse gear ?

True but its not a requirement. Have you ever tried pushing a goldwing backwards ?!!

machew

Veteran
I had an M.G.B where the reverse gear had packed in, it made parking interesting I had to find spaces in car parks where I could drive through and long spaces in streets. If I needed to reverse it the then girlfriend had to push it:laugh: (Don't worry she was a strong girl) I straight swapped it for a Ford Orion in the end......
Which one did you swap, the girlfriend or the car?

chriss2.0

Just been looking into this, and there is no mention in the MOT book about reverse gear being required.
You may get a refussal to test as the tester is unable to reverse from ramp and brake tester.
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/VOSA Inspection Manual Classes 3 4 5 & 7.pdf

"All original parts must be present and working" that is what we were told when the reverse light switch failed so we replaced it with a manual one. basically if it rolled out of the factory with one, then it must work.

lukesdad

"All original parts must be present and working" that is what we were told when the reverse light switch failed so we replaced it with a manual one. basically if it rolled out of the factory with one, then it must work.
Does that include the radio ? Ooh err I could be up sheet creek ! :sad:

Top Bottom