Must do hills in the Lake District!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
From Keswick there are a number of passes and hills available. Have a look at Whinlatter pass (either for a road bike or using the MTB tracks) and then turning left through Buttermere and riding back over Honister Pass.

Edge705

Looking for recommendations on the best climbs and places to cycle in and around Keswick please.:thumbsup:

When are you going?

Checkout the keswick Festival cycle route thats got all the hills in it in a figure of 8 even if your not there in May you can download the route

Also check out Grand Tour De Stavely this starts south of the lakes real south and meanders up the lakes towards Keswick so you could get some good ideas from that route as well

OP
OP
Fran143

Fran143

Über Member
Heading through in May, I'm over in France for the Tour so will miss the Grand Tour De Stavely.....sod's law that I'm due home the week before the Keswick Sportive! Whinlatter and Honister are not one's I have heard off so thanks. Hardknott and Kirkstane are the only two I'd thought about.:thumbsup:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
From Keswick, you can ride down the valley to Ambleside then back up over Kirkstone Pass via "The Struggle" (aptly named - like Hardknott, it's one to be ticked off the list rather than one to enjoy).

mcshroom's suggestion of Whinlatter & Honister would be a much nicer ride overall.

d.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
don't forget Rhinose :thumbsup:
or Wrynose :thumbsup:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You can go up Hardknott and down Wrynose. Or vice versa.

Or go over the road in one direction, then turn round and do it in the other direction. If you're mental.

d.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My favourite run around those parts was Cockermouth, Crummock, Buttermere, Harknot... well, get to the foot of hardknot and think f*ck that... turn back and return to Cockermouth via Buttermere (village) to Braithwaite (what is that road/pass called?) & over Whinlatter.

Top Bottom