Mutated Caliper brakes on new build :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

I am currently building a road bike and it's almost finished! Wheels arrived Today and when I put the rear one on I noticed the back brake seems out of position with the rim. It's like the brake needs to be mounted about 1 - 2 cm further down the seatstays because the blocks won;t line up with the rim ;)

Check it out - any thoughts?
09032009023.jpg

p.s. - yeah the wheel is mounted in the rear drop outs correctly and the front brake lines up okay...

Cheers
SD

MajorMantra

No expert, but it looks like you need a brake with a longer drop.

Matthew

NickM

Veteran
If the frame requires a medium drop (i.e. 47-57mm) drop brake, so should the fork. I'd take frame and fork back to wherever you got them from and ask for either the correct fork to go with the frame, or a refund.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Okay, I think I will just get a replacement long-drop rear caliper and sell the original Veloce one. I'm not convinced that the forks are the original for the frame but I was planning to use these ones for a bit and upgrade to carbon forks.

Jpembroke, If you're interested in the rear brake only then drop me a pm :biggrin:
Thanks for all the replies guys!

NickM

Veteran
When you upgrade the forks, be sure to get ones intended for use with mudguards (even if you have no intention of using mudguards). These will have the blade length appropriate to 47-57mm drop brakes - so you won't be wasting the front one if you buy a pair now.

Inexpensive but good deep drop brakes: Tektro R730 - available from Parker International. Performance can be significantly upgraded by dumping the original pads in favour of Koolstop salmon (from dotbike).

Top Bottom