cable brake caliper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No but one of the best cable operated (as opposed to hybrid = cable actuated hydraulic calipers) is the TRP Spyre.
It's a modulation 'thing' (on the "better" spectrum).

richardfm

Veteran
No but one of the best cable operated (as opposed to hybrid = cable actuated hydraulic calipers) is the TRP Spyre.
It's a modulation 'thing' (on the "better" spectrum).

The TRP is good and even better when you use the proper outer cables, route them properly and adjust them by following the manufacturer's instructions rather than some random, generic , instructions found on You Tube.
Guess how I know?

Velochris

Über Member
Growtac and Paul Klampers seem to be the most pricey and claimed by some as best.

Serious money, particularly for the latter. Both single piston design.

No experience so cannot give a personal view.

Drago

Legendary Member
The best cable systems are better than the worst hydraulics for both power and feel.

But when decent hydros are now so inexpensive why would one do so?

Ajax Bay

Guru
The TRP is good and even better when you use the proper outer cables, route them properly and adjust them by following the manufacturer's instructions rather than some random, generic , instructions found on You Tube.
Guess how I know?
I have used 'compressionless' brake cable outers for mine. Not sure I have any options for routing.
The best cable systems are better than the worst hydraulics for both power and feel.
But when decent hydros are now so inexpensive why would one do so?
Because I can use my 'normal' cable operated STIs at much more reasonable prices, deal with a simple technology with which I'm familiar and (with Spyres) get a braking system which as you say is fit for purpose (road). A hybrid cable>hydraulic option also allows cable operation. The limiting factor is tyre/road surface grip, not brake power.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
N

neuronetv

Regular
thanks for the replies here. I had a cable brake caliper but it wouldn't lock the back wheel and I was persuaded to get it changed to a hydraulic - which was clearly better and did lock the wheel. however I had to change my combination brake and gear shifter to do so. I'd like to change back to my original combined brake and gear shifter unit but son't want to sacrifice the good braking I have, thats why I was hoping to find a decent cable brake caliper

Top Bottom