Muvi fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

BentMikey said:
Something like 40mins per GB, surely? 8GB should give you 4-5 hours depending on the actual compression achieved.

Not on the clone. The other quirk is that you get longer records when its not direct sunlight, ie cloudy days or evenings.

Just tested the clone and got 45 mins = 4GB

Matthames

Über Member
I am getting a Muvi clone sometime next week, haven't brought the memory card yet. What size would people recommend for an hours recording?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
mike.pembo said:
Not on the clone. The other quirk is that you get longer records when its not direct sunlight, ie cloudy days or evenings.

Just tested the clone and got 45 mins = 4GB

Oh bummer! So what you save on buying a clone you very nearly spend on a memory card instead? Together with the "does not record more than 1 half hour clip at a time" so have to use vox problem, that makes me quite chuffed I bought a real one.

Less chuffed since my first camera, an MD91, disappeared down the road somewhere. B0ll0cks!!

Armegatron

BentMikey said:
Oh bummer! So what you save on buying a clone you very nearly spend on a memory card instead? Together with the "does not record more than 1 half hour clip at a time" so have to use vox problem, that makes me quite chuffed I bought a real one.

Less chuffed since my first camera, an MD91, disappeared down the road somewhere. B0ll0cks!!

£17 for camera and £10 for 8 GB card vs £50 (plus say £15 for sports pack) for a Muvi. Also the Muvi cards are hit and miss, so add to that the cost of another 2GB higher class memory card.

Also, recorded about 45 - 50 mins before it hit the FAT32 limit, which is ideal for me as Id be arriving at my destination by that point and turning the camera off anyway.

I already have a Muvi for the helmet and quality wise there isnt much between them, however low light the Muvi wins hands down.

The clone is slightly lighter (plastic case) so Im tempted to swap the Muvi to be the rear cam, and the clone as helmet cam.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just got my Muvi today. Finally (I think) figured out how to attach it to the helmet (extreme pack came with no instructions!). I've read a couple of posts however about the fixings not being great and cameras falling out so some questions I'd be really grateful for answers to:

1. Are the problems fairly universal (ie should I not use it without some kind of fix in place?
2. I read a mention of using a cable tie, I'm assuming this goes round the body of the cam and the clip it's in?

Sorry for the very noobie questions but I'm so looking forward to filming some of the idiots I meet on my daily journey to work.:laugh:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
martint235 said:
Just got my Muvi today. Finally (I think) figured out how to attach it to the helmet (extreme pack came with no instructions!). I've read a couple of posts however about the fixings not being great and cameras falling out so some questions I'd be really grateful for answers to:

1. Are the problems fairly universal (ie should I not use it without some kind of fix in place?
2. I read a mention of using a cable tie, I'm assuming this goes round the body of the cam and the clip it's in?

Sorry for the very noobie questions but I'm so looking forward to filming some of the idiots I meet on my daily journey to work.:laugh:

pretty universal i think.
common issues are.

• Attachment clip fracturing or getting loose, an elastic band does the trick, one of my brackets has no bottom to it at all and the band keeps it in place on all road conditions (and on my head when I was skiing) Failing that use the lanyard that comes with the cam to attach to whatever the mount is attached to (helmet, bike, wife)
  • Vox switch is a bit questionable, just leave it on record and it should restart every 30 mins
  • Cards can get easliy corrupted, due to the ease at which you can drag and drop, this seems to sometimes leave data on the card that messes things up. Solution, be sure not to unplug the cam for a few minutes after dragging and dropping or hit the icon next to yiour system tray to "safely remove mass media" device before unplugging the muvi after you have moved files.
  • Power and vox switches look very similar and are too easily confused, leading to you switching off the power (as apposed the vox) and loosing all of the last 30 min footage.
  • Low quality card that ships with the cam is often to slow a class of card to record at the right speed, causing wobbles in the footage (a bit like the vibration wobbles you get)
  • Its so small you'll loose it a lot

Yeah I lost an 8gb card.On the new cam...it got corrupted the first time usage...so I had 8gb of garbage.The muvi was fine though.

Armegatron

lanternerouge said:
This is doing my head in, got no idea how to fix this thing to my helmet! Are there any good instructions around??

Hopefully Ive attached 2 pics that might show you one way of doing it. I mounted it between the visor and the helmet with double sided sticky, and wrapped the lanyard around the vents so when I put the camera in, I click into the lanyard incase it falls out (which it has only done once).

No I used Nylon Tags and a rubber band for stability.Looks good in my video...Still have three incidents from my commute 81 to upload.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have found that the clips that hold the muvi in are prone to snap as well, i have gone for the elastic band option as well.

I ended up buying the xtreme sports pack for £10 ish for another set of mounting brackets and some nifty velcro straps to hold it all onto the helmet.

Very disappointed with the so called sleeve for weather proofing, if you put it on you cant get the muvi into the clip and it is still open.

Anyone find that the battery takes a lot longer to charge as the week goes on? By the end of the week they can be on overnight to recharge .We could do with finding a source to replace the battery with a better one.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
lanternerouge said:
This is doing my head in, got no idea how to fix this thing to my helmet! Are there any good instructions around??

Hope these help. Yellow is the "swing bracket" red are the velcro straps with the thin ends.

straps2.jpg

straps.jpg

IMG00307.jpg

IMG00308.jpg

Top Bottom