My 12 hours of A&E hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's going to hurt like hell. When I crashed my MTB a year after breaking my spine, I'd banged my shoulder up badly. The pain was incredible, but I didn't go to A&E as I didn't want anything on my records. I just went to see the physios at work who gave me a rollocking, but were able to check it enough to confirm most likely not broken. The bruising and gravel rash was impressive.

Pain killers, and keep moving. Anything gets worse, GP/A&E

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You're not having much luck of late Accy.
Shown to be true when you read my last post about the nasty neighbour!:thumbsdown:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a sure fire way of express A&E treatment, straight into resus, but I wouldn't recommend breaking your spine rather badly to get priority. :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
They don't always get it right. After a fall on black ice and I could not walk, was x-rayed and sent home with crutches and told it was soft tissue damage.

Subsequently had issues with bladder and after about 3 months, they gave me a CT scan. By this time I was walking ok without crutches and even ridden my first 10 of the season (with discomfort).

But within 30 mins of getting home from the ct scan, got a call from the gp asking me to go back to a&e as I had fractured my pelvis!

The consultents apologised, but said that they would not have given me any different treatment anyway and they could tell from the ct scan that the pelvis was repairing itself.

Now 2 years later still get aches etc, but can still ride a bike ok.

Good luck with your progress. You should be able to request home visits from the gp or the out of hours doctor.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hossy are very capable of making significant errors of diagnosis.

When I was assaulted at work and had my elbow Broken, Northampton General Hospital failed to correctly diagnose it. Even the big chunk of detached bone shown in the X Ray wasn't enough of a clue.

That was in a November. It was a February before the NHS correctly diagnosed it, thanks to the efforts of my GP, who as a consultant GP had sufficient juice that people had to take notice when he referred me back to Hospital. By then it had healed badly, and had to be broken and reset. 11 years and 3 operations later it still causes me problems.

I was sorely tempted to sue the NHS, but after much deliberation didn't. Bottom line was they didn't break my arm, and nice as a couple of grand compo would have been it wouldn't have made it any less painful.

Hicky

Guru
Ms is an A&E nurse, if there is a lot of swelling around the area diagnosis is hard unless the break is very obvious. Ref pain it is very common for people to lay it on thick possibly contributing to the staffs reluctance to take you at face value, I'm not excusing this behaviour btw.
Good luck and gws.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Get well soon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ms is an A&E nurse, if there is a lot of swelling around the area diagnosis is hard unless the break is very obvious. Ref pain it is very common for people to lay it on thick possibly contributing to the staffs reluctance to take you at face value, I'm not excusing this behaviour btw.
Good luck and gws.

Compo claim pain is very difficult to treat

tom73

Guru
@Hicky is spot on even with the advancements in x rays such as PACS together with reporting radiographers swelling can hide many things.
Past pain is not a 100% way of telling if you've done the same thing. See how you go and if you need to go back then go just be nice but firm if you need be. A different shift with different staff may well bring a better experience.
The main thing is pain control and rest up but keep moving.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Is this an opportunity to make a new start with the neighbour? Show him you can't walk and ask to borrow some milk or something and you never know they might be supportive.
A firm no! They'll just see it as something to gloat about and I certainly wouldn't want to get close to them in my current state. I need to be able to defend myself if necessary.

MarkF

Guru
I'd wager 90%+ of scans show no break yet a large % of patients demand another, and another, and this that and the other....... whilst they are blocking a cubicle..........If you were there 12 hours then they must have been busy and had more patients with more serious ailments, it is Blackburn Royal Infirmary not AccyRI^_^

Get well soon.:okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom