My 12 hours of A&E hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm worried you may not be up to looking after your palm tree. Who's going to take it down the sunbed shop for you?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm worried you may not be up to looking after your palm tree. Who's going to take it down the sunbed shop for you?
Seriously though it's small things you take for granted that are so hard when immobilised. I've been sat here wondering how I can take my dog for a stroll. I'm working out a short route that doesn't involve crossing busy roads,even when there's a zebra crossing like I have outside my door. I hate crossing it when i'm able if necessary to jump out the way of that idiot who hasn't seen me crossing the thing. No way am I attempting it in this state! As for my palm tree(s), my coconut plant needs moving to the window that gets most sun during the day, but it'll have to stay where it is for a few days at least.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about this Accy. You do seem to have been getting some pretty rough breaks lately, if you'll pardon the expression.

Crappy behaviour by the cabbie. Did he work for a minicab firm? Did you get the name? I would've been getting my complaint ready when he refused to help with the bag, never mind 'tipping' himself. Any licensed cabby (and they all have to be these days) has a code of conduct they have to abide by, and though refusing to help with baggage, while scummy, is probably not in breech, I'm bloody sure helping yourself to other people's money is. Seriously, I'd complain, if you can. If no one complains, nothing changes.

As to the injury, my advice would be to take it very easy for at least a week or so and see how you go. When I had my first review a couple of months after breaking my hip, I mentioned that I'd been trying to keep active, but thought I may have been overdoing it. "Oh," they said, "No, don't try to exercise at all. Just stay on the sofa. Your body needs rest, to heal itself. No exercise at all till we're sure the bone's knitted." Thinks: Oh. Thanks. You might have mentioned that earlier...

Anyway, you might or might not have a break (I would suspect not if, as you say, three different doctors have reviewed the x-rays and agree...but you never know) but I would err on the side of caution, and take it very easy for awhile. At best, your body's had a nasty shock. And it's still possible it is actually properly damaged, by which I mean more than just bruised or strained.

I'm shocked, finally, that the hospital wouldn't issue you with crutches. Surely the criterion should be whether you feel you need them, not what some other person theorises about your condition. Doubtless it comes down to cash. But that's no excuse. I have a horrible feeling that you might be right that they've taken a judgement on your moral character, based on your speech impediment, and acted accordingly. And really, they've no business doing that. If you said you were sure you couldn't walk safely without crutches, you should have been given crutches.

Anyway, good luck and GWS.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I sympathise with you Accy. I slipped in the shower, at home, about a year ago too. I also thought I had broken my hip because the pain was excruciating and I could only move on all four, couldn't be comfortable at night either. It took a while to go and eventually, all went back to normal so nothing broken. I didn't go to A&E or saw a doctor. In the end, I guess the muscles were very badly bruised and time was the only answer. I wasn't able to drive as I had no power in my left leg. Took days to go back to normal. In the meantime, take care of yourself and I hope you get better soon.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm shocked, finally, that the hospital wouldn't issue you with crutches. Surely the criterion should be whether you feel you need them, not what some other person theorises about your condition.

They said I wouldn't be able to use them due to my arm being in a sling. Maybe they could've given me one of those tripod walking sticks though.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
. I slipped in the shower, at home, about a year ago too. I also thought I had broken my hip because the pain was excruciating and I could only move on all four

You've just reminded me. My cousin who died last year fell and broke her hip in the shower. The last time I saw her in a fairly healthy state,though drunk was just after she'd done it. God knows how i'm going to have a shower tonight. One hand washing takes a bit of getting used to. At least It's the left hand and not my 'writing hand' that's strapped up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
GWS Accy!

You've just reminded me. My cousin who died last year fell and broke her hip in the shower. The last time I saw her in a fairly healthy state,though drunk was just after she'd done it. God knows how i'm going to have a shower tonight. One hand washing takes a bit of getting used to. At least It's the left hand and not my 'writing hand' that's strapped up.

I have a fantastic big walk-in shower in this house. When I went to use the shower for the first time, I turned it on and promptly slipped over! I bought 2 anti-slip shower mats the next day and have had no problems since. I certainly think it is reasonable to expect public showers to have something like them.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Hope you feel better soon. I was in Wythenshawe hospital on Monday and overheard a poor guy who was admitted with severe internal bleeding explaining to the consultant how he had been taken to Blackburn A and E last weekend. Despite losing a lot of blood they had simply put him on a drip then sent him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom