My 12 hours of A&E hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last night I slipped in the gym shower and fell badly. As soon as managed to stand up I knew my shoulder was dislocated and my hip or leg was possibly broken. A member of staff phoned for the ambulance. I've just got back after nearly 12 hours in the A&E dept;. The thing is my hip hurts like hell, though the doctors who examined my x-ray insist it's just painful due to swelling. After id had my shoulder fixed while under sedation a nurse told me to make my way to the exit doors and more or less frind my own way home. I told him that I could hardly walk on it,but he insisted I tried. After about 1 minute or trying to walk my hip or leg gave way. The last time I felt pain like that was when I broke my hip them my leg 3 years ago. After refusing to try anymore they got a bit stroppy and kind of insisted I was making it up. They then re-examined my x-rays and told me there were no breaks. Again they insisted I walk on it. Again I was hit by excrutiating pain. To make matters worse after i'd used a wheelchair as a zimmer frame to make my way to the taxi rank, the taxi driver refused to even put my gym bag in the car let alone help me! I had to struggle while he sat their moaning about me holding him up. Then the git took a pound out of my change saying he wanted a tip for waiting. I'm in pain now and can't put more than say 40% weight on it. I don't know what to do. I certainly do not want to go back to Blackburn A&E department!

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's going to hurt. Best thing is keep an eye on the pain levels, if nothing improves go back ASAP.

They can quite often miss minor breaks.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's going to hurt. Best thing is keep an eye on the pain levels, if nothing improves go back ASAP.

They can quite often miss minor breaks.
Three of them have looked at the x-ray and insisted there is no break. I know it's broken! I can't even make my way to my GP surgery to ask for advice,as I just can't manage without a walking aid. They wouldn't even give me crutches or a zimmer frame to aid me.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd also like to say that other members have complained to the staff about that 'treacherous' floor in the men's changing room. I could hardly stand up in the shower cubicle due to the slippery tiled surface.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Accy, that is dreadful.
Hard to believe a taxi driver could act so badly.
Have to be honest, I read that waiting for a punchline as I couldn't believe it could happen.
Hope all goes well for you.

It certainly puts a new slant on "join a gym and get fit" :blush:

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Hopefully your dog hasnt kept your downstairs neighbours up all night. The last thing you need is a reason for them to continue their 'beef' with you.

Start keeping a record of all pain/problems relating to this incident. Im sure their will be plenty of 'ambulance chasers' willing to sue the leisure centre on your behalf.

I would also report the taxi driver as thats technically theft.

tom73

Guru
As @fossyant says it will hurt bone pain is not easy one to keep on top of. Together with all the soft tissue and mussel that's around that area.
Rest up but try to keep moving as much a you can. Take paracetamol and ibuprofen if you can have them. It's a simple but effective combo.
If you think it is a break i'd strongly advise not to try an ice pack or cold compress on the area. As you sure will know about it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I would also report the taxi driver as thats technically theft.

He moaned when I eventually made into his car because I didn't have any cash on me so I told him i'd pay when we got there. Even then he acted like I was going to rip him off. Surely it's quite understandable that someone who's ended up unexpectedly in A&E might not have any money on them. Not only that but how could I do a runner with the state I was in..which he clearly saw!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As @fossyant says it will hurt bone pain is not easy one to keep on top of. Together with all the soft tissue and mussel that's around that area.
Rest up but try to keep moving as much a you can. Take paracetamol and ibuprofen if you can have them. It's a simple but effective combo.
If you think it is a break i'd strongly advise not to try an ice pack or cold compress on the area. As you sure will know about it.
I just hope they're right and it isn't broke. Though i'm 'walking'the same way as I did 3 years ago when it was a break. The dislocation I can live with,as it'll be ok in a few days,but broken hips take months to recover from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom