My 1st recumbent ride outdoors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t_rifles

So last week my 1st ride outside on my Performer trike went like this:

13 mph average, down from DF pace of about 16, but speed was not my aim.
6 horses spooked (I have a lot of experience passing without issue normally)
3 kids nearly falling off their scooters to see what I was
Some unexpected pedal steer
Most cars passed way wider than normal.

I have made the following changes to see if things improve next time.

Lowered the tyre pressures a bit.
Double checked frame alignment
Reset front wheel alignment. Small toe-in set.
Checked steerers are both suitably tight

Having said all the above, I believe the body position is certainly not making my back any worse and maybe even improving it, but early days. Set up on the turbo trainer it's providing some comfortable workouts.

Sounds about normal for a first ride .... ^_^

Hands off a trike doesn't turn as you expect.
If you lean left on a bike then it will turn left and right for right.
But if you lean left on a trike then it will turn right and left for right.
It's most noticeable on an upwrong trike where when you lean into a camber then you automagically steer yourself into the ditch until you get used to it.
It's not so noticeable on a bent trike until the steering gets light at speed.

If you work to hard then you end up rocking your shoulders and/or hips.
Rocking your shoulders causes your hand to move unless you keep your arms very relaxed.
Rocking your hips shifts your weight side to side in the seat.
Both will cause the trike to snake a little.
So don't work so hard ....... :laugh:

Warning:- Don't over tighten the headsets thinking it will solve steering issues.
If they are over tight then the bearing will become notched and the trike will start to hunt for a line around a corner.
Been there, done that,new bearing needed.

Luck .......... ^_^

Last edited:
I tried using my trike on a cheap Tacx “smart turbo” with Rouvy and Zwift last winter. Despite meticulously set up the right pressure of the roller on the tyre, it was extremely hard work and a pretty miserable experience. On the “flat” I could do 7mph at best and “uphill” I ground to a halt. I was using a turbo tyre. If you have any hints I’d be keen to hear them... for a few minutes I could kid myself I was in the Pyrenees and not in a cold damp garage!

OP
OP
T

t_rifles

I use mine on a Wahoo Kickr and mostly TrainerRoad software and occasionally replaying outdoor rides. If your Tacx works by adjusting the resistance automatically then it might be a case of checking that wheel circumference settings are correct in the software and your baseline resistance by doing the FTP test.

Changing to use the Trike, I use one lower gear just to reduce the calculated speed to be a bit more reflective of real world, this does not alter the effort.

I find, for the same wattage, my heart rate is lower now by some way. I expect this is because breathing is easier and the legs/heart relationship.

OP
OP
T

t_rifles

Well, I haven't been outside again yet but this is just due to the weather really. However I have been using it about 5 times a week on my smart turbo trainer. This has clocked about 1500 indoor miles and I have really noticed my leg muscles change which will help in the spring and generally my sciatica appears to have improved.

I have also managed to just about fit a 11-34 cassette on with a 105 derailleur so that when I replay some of my outdoor rides in the trainer I can get up the 10% inclines.

I am also considering whether to purchase a different trike for outdoor use with indirect steering but cannot decide to go lighter and faster or just accept a more relaxed pace and also cannot try them out safely at the moment.

Shreds

How deep are your pockets? Indirect drive speedy but very relaxed too.

https://www.icetrikes.co/products/vtx-recumbent-trike

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

t_rifles

Yes, I've looked at their site often, i'd have to be absolutely convinced, search for hidden funds under the mattress and pass on some of my existing gear to help with the man maths.

No dealer particularly local to me and obviously travelling hasn't been an option for a while.

I managed to get my Tacx trainer to play nicely with Zwift by altering my height and weight to the minimum parameters. That makes the scenery go by at a rate consistent with the real world. I’m not interested in racing anyone, in fact once I’ve got it up and running I disconnect Wi-fi so I have the roads to myself. Much like I like riding in real life! I haven’t yet tried the trick with Rouvy.

The VTX is indeed a lovely machine. I treated myself to mine for a Significant Birthday present to myself a few years ago. Mine is sitting on the turbo at the moment: it only comes out when the gritters have gone! I already had a Trice QNT so I had a fair idea of what I was getting into, but it has surpassed my expectations.

Top Bottom