My 1st steel bike and its.........lovely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Genesis doing what they do best. I like it very much.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
@coco69 that is a lovely looking bike you have. You have also answered a question I have just posted on a thread I started a couple of days ago about steel frame bikes and the effect a steel frame may have on my speed.
[QUOTE
Called in to Red Kite cycles in Shirley, Solihull today and had a good look / chat about the Trek Emonda SL 5 carbon, Storck Visioner C carbon and a Condor Acciaio steel bike.
Whilst I accept Trek make good bikes I am afraid that I do not like the Lime Green colour of the Emonda SL 5 frame; no offence to anyone who has one, is not for me.
The storck is a nice bike and upgradeable, which fits the bill. However, availability may be an issue.
The Condor is something different and really did look nice; again only my opinion which others may not agree with.

The question running through my mind right now, is if I went down the rout of a steel frame and had it built to my specification, which I could alter in the future, is my speed likely to be affected? From what I have read, and as confirmed through todays discussion, the ride would be more smooth and compliant on the wonderful roads we have in this country, but the frame will be heaveir.

Opinions and views greatly appreciated.
][/QUOTE]

I will make sure I keep a look out for more posts about your bike, I really do think I need to explore the options of steel for my next frame.

Did you consider any other manufacturers and if so what made you go with Genesis?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@coco69 that is a lovely looking bike you have. You have also answered a question I have just posted on a thread I started a couple of days ago about steel frame bikes and the effect a steel frame may have on my speed.
[QUOTE
Called in to Red Kite cycles in Shirley, Solihull today and had a good look / chat about the Trek Emonda SL 5 carbon, Storck Visioner C carbon and a Condor Acciaio steel bike.
Whilst I accept Trek make good bikes I am afraid that I do not like the Lime Green colour of the Emonda SL 5 frame; no offence to anyone who has one, is not for me.
The storck is a nice bike and upgradeable, which fits the bill. However, availability may be an issue.
The Condor is something different and really did look nice; again only my opinion which others may not agree with.

The question running through my mind right now, is if I went down the rout of a steel frame and had it built to my specification, which I could alter in the future, is my speed likely to be affected? From what I have read, and as confirmed through todays discussion, the ride would be more smooth and compliant on the wonderful roads we have in this country, but the frame will be heaveir.

Opinions and views greatly appreciated.
]

I will make sure I keep a look out for more posts about your bike, I really do think I need to explore the options of steel for my next frame.

Did you consider any other manufacturers and if so what made you go with Genesis?[/QUOTE]

I had a custom built 853 Audax bike from Brian Rourke. After exhausting all the standard options I came down to the fact that no off the peg bikes fit me properly and all those I have ever had have been compromised fit-wise.
So much to Rourke bemusement I ended up with a frame that whilst they though odd dimensions, fits me to a tee. Now I'm properly planted on the saddle, the bars are in the right place and my legs are free to pedal rather than keep me positioned on the bike as well.
When I really looked into it, the cost of a Rourke custom bike was very comparable to off the shelf and I had the added advantage that I could build it as idiosyncratically as I liked and colour scheme etc to boot. It's all worked-out rather well. The frame is very responsive for an Audax design with heavy wheels, I am notably faster on it than any of my previous (good) bikes. The only bit I got wrong was the 853 fork, it's just a bit to stiff for very long distance, but good for speed and handling. [EDIT/ I've since adjusted the headset and the 853 fork now works a treat, was just a little slack in the bearings/].
It would be worth having a look at them (and other custom builders), but they do have a reputation for fast steel bikes, good enough for some team GB members and famously Nicole Cook.

Here's mine:

Rourke June 2015.JPG

More info about a recent Rourke re-build here at the moment:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/show-us-your-steel-its-real.16850/post-3774968

Yes they will always be a tad heavier than Carbon, but it's not all about weight. The thing is .... a steel bike is a bike for life .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
coco69

coco69

Veteran
I have put a few miles on the bike now and to be fair im not educated enough to be thorough enough to say how it rides so can just give an opinion.....its stunning, it glides its mega comfy and its as fast as anything I have owned with the exception of my canyon...true an improvement on wheels is in the pipeline but the askiums are ok for now.....I have owned probably 40 racing bikes form £3000 down to £200 and this is definitely in my top 3......its a cracker.
just waiting for seatpost clamp

Attachments

• gen2.jpg
    gen2.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Cyclist33

Ouch!!

Sorry, but with black tyres and the odd flash of metallic red it looked really cool. Now it looks like it's been half-dipped in green slime!

Wafer

Veteran
Lovely looking bike, does encourage me to pursue using the cdf frameset as the base for the bike I'm after.
Out of interest how does the weight differ from other bikes you've had? Sounds like some people get their steel bikes weighing similar to an alu one anyway.

Top Bottom