My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ramjam

Geez to long a thread to read from start to finish.

Great tips regarding helmet , tool etc from amazon.

Bought my first bike, a Giant Defy 1 - how light !! My last racer (showing my age) was 35 years ago !!! What a difference.

I dont want to get my new bike dirty cos its so nice.
Seriously I need to invest in some cycle shoes,dont want to spend loads ££ but they need to be wide fitting (cos my feet are a bit like a chimps, size 8 1/2 and very wide).
Any hints/tips?
:hyper:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
there are alot of "normal" looking spd/psd whatever u name it shoes with clips inside the sole, that would be probably the best choice for you

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Geez to long a thread to read from start to finish.

Great tips regarding helmet , tool etc from amazon.

Bought my first bike, a Giant Defy 1 - how light !! My last racer (showing my age) was 35 years ago !!! What a difference.

I dont want to get my new bike dirty cos its so nice.
Seriously I need to invest in some cycle shoes,dont want to spend loads ££ but they need to be wide fitting (cos my feet are a bit like a chimps, size 8 1/2 and very wide).
Any hints/tips?
:hyper:

Try the muddy fox range in your local sports direct. People will scoff, but they do the job and the ones I have fit my wide feet very well.

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
yeah muddys are low budget decent clothes tho i got a jersey from them and it's all good but it's surprisingly long, this long i can wear it behind my bum and i ordered medium size...

cyclingclueless

Regular
Hello; I saw this and it is very informative and useful. .. but now has me a lil worried. I managed to buy a 2nd hand ladies bike, think its a tourer going by the pics.... but is this right one for long distance day in and day out?

it has 5 gears, no suspension....:/ any help appreciated!

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
if you exchange whole set+wheels then everything is possible :smile:

Lemond

My advice: approach every junction with extreme caution and assume you haven't been seen.

After a twenty-year break I've only been riding for a couple of months and have already had three driver's pull out right in front of me. The only damage I've suffered thus far is one puncture, when I had to swerve and hit a curb.

It seems lights, a luminous yellow shirt and me having the right of way make no difference: many drivers just don't look properly.

Deputy Dawg

I agree with most of your post AFO but am mildly concerned about your classifications. Don't get me wrong, you're definitions are right and I haven't yet formulated an alternative but I am coming to the conclusion that this whole field needs an even simpler approach. If the aim is to enable beginners to establish the right kind of bike for their needs perhaps we need a flow chart of some kind.
Or a matrixy thing.
All so true mickle. Not sure a flow chart or a 'matrixy thing' is simpler however.......so many variations. It may be good for one of the big retailers to do an online Q&A survey that specifies ideal bikes as a result......

bloodlett

just purchased a trek fx 7.4 disk I would consider it a corvette only because of I consider myself a v8 and not a inline 4 ^_^

LordGrover

Regular
ripple_bounce.gif

What about the Overfinch Range Rover of bikes... the Dutchies?

Top Bottom