My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mouki

Regular
Hi guys,

This was a handy post as i'm a total noob. In my case, i've been scouring the internet for so long I feel like I know more about bikes than ever before but still totally nothing as i've realised i've only scratched the surface!! That's where I fall flat on my face and think again - where do I start?? I would love stuff like the below answered, just 1 handy document that answers some of the do's and don't's (like this post) but MORE!

So like this post:
  • Where to buy from and what you get for that service.
  • What you want the bike FOR.
  • TYPES of bikes and then following up again on what your needs are for one.
That's such a nice start and I had this knowledge when I went to some LBS' and then got stumped again and realised I needed to know more:
  • BUDGET - Such a big factor (I didn't realise HOW big actually!)
  • Am I buying for the next 5, 10, 20 years? Just to see if I like it and get into it? For myself and what i've read, noobys like me want to see if they will enjoy it at first.
  • COMPONENTS - Seems it is an important factor but how do you learn about them?? How much should you be worrying about them for your first bike?
  • Weight, frame size, wheels - Weight is a factor for me but to be honest, I didn't even consider frame size - I just expected to buy a huge bike!!! And you read about people swapping out they're wheels all the time. Should you be considering buying spares or upgrading straight away?
  • If you're investing in a bike, how much knowledge would you need to gain about maintaining and fixing small problems?
That's just some of the things I can think of this time of the evening! Apologies if I am asking a lot (not that it's going to happen lol) but just wanted to state as a noob this is the kind of thing's I start worrying about and not sure if I should. I will be posting a thread next about my current experience where I still feel confused! So hoping some of you can help please!

Thanks

SeanM

I ventured into a LBS over the weekend to have a problem with my recent 'internet purchased' bike fixed. The guys took one look at me and told me the bike was a size too big, fortunately i've been able to send it back and have it swapped. Lucky escape for me. The guys in the bike shop must have thought i was a right knob.

I've previously not done a vast amount of cycling, just commuting and stuff and the occasional 20km ride that i had right outside my door in Australia, and i've never even looked at a cycling forum before. I have so much to learn it's quite scary.

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi guys,

This was a handy post as i'm a total noob. In my case, i've been scouring the internet for so long I feel like I know more about bikes than ever before but still totally nothing as i've realised i've only scratched the surface!! That's where I fall flat on my face and think again - where do I start?? I would love stuff like the below answered, just 1 handy document that answers some of the do's and don't's (like this post) but MORE!

So like this post:
  • Where to buy from and what you get for that service.
  • What you want the bike FOR.
  • TYPES of bikes and then following up again on what your needs are for one.
That's such a nice start and I had this knowledge when I went to some LBS' and then got stumped again and realised I needed to know more:
  • BUDGET - Such a big factor (I didn't realise HOW big actually!)
  • Am I buying for the next 5, 10, 20 years? Just to see if I like it and get into it? For myself and what i've read, noobys like me want to see if they will enjoy it at first.
  • COMPONENTS - Seems it is an important factor but how do you learn about them?? How much should you be worrying about them for your first bike?
  • Weight, frame size, wheels - Weight is a factor for me but to be honest, I didn't even consider frame size - I just expected to buy a huge bike!!! And you read about people swapping out they're wheels all the time. Should you be considering buying spares or upgrading straight away?
  • If you're investing in a bike, how much knowledge would you need to gain about maintaining and fixing small problems?
That's just some of the things I can think of this time of the evening! Apologies if I am asking a lot (not that it's going to happen lol) but just wanted to state as a noob this is the kind of thing's I start worrying about and not sure if I should. I will be posting a thread next about my current experience where I still feel confused! So hoping some of you can help please!

Thanks
Hi now I don't know if this will help you or not but here I go ! I joined on here in 2012 after having been diagnosed with sleep apnea then after informing both the DVLA & my insurance company noproblem with the former but the insurance was a different story this went through the roof to the point that it was just not worth if for the mileage I was doing. So I bought a bike fr om outside a local paper shop ok strange place but the guy is a keen cyclist, ant way this was a mtb in good order but still had it's original components ! Any way it was only purchased so I was able to get to the bank ( having sampled local transport) I got seriously involved and over the last few years has things wore out/broke etc I simply replaced these components with far better ones lol. Over the last two years I bought other bikes which I must admit some of them where mistakes and got sold on,at this time I now have three but the daft thing I still prefer the bike shaped object that I got from the paper shop lol. So in conclustion don't over worry about what you get for a start you will upgrade it at some point and if you go to your lbs they should be able to advise you far better than this silly old sod on his bso.

flick161

Regular
Thought I should check back in with my adventures over the last few months.
So... I changed my MTB tyres to slicks which helped me greatly whilst riding.
BUT I was still getting whipped by the others at my local tri club at mid-week practice sessions obviously. There were a few incidents where I wasn't making it up hills in the wind and the day I pretty much cried the duration of the route.

The positives are I'm still riding A LOT more. I went out on the Mother's Day CycloFemme ride in Brighton which was the furthest I'd ridden in a day.

Then last weekend, the local tri club lent me a road bike and took me out on it for the first time. Felt like I was learning to ride again! Lots of bruised shins, achy hand from the new hand position, and mega achy bum; but I cycled 15 miles and best of all, it was really easy!

Am DEFINITELY going to invest in a road bike at some point. Flippin loved it!

zee90

I've been cycling since I was a kid. This is one of some activities that I enjoy the most. But I haven't cycled for quite some time because I was kinda busy with my daily. This thread is very useful. I'm going to check the bike on my garage to see if it still working properly.

Cannondale Lady

I'm totally new to cycling but lucky enough to have a very experienced and avid cycling hubby. He let me choose my bike myself and was impressed with my choice and didn't feel the need to intervene. He said it will do me for the foreseeable future.

Have found the forum so far to have a number of people who look at lady cyclists, hobby cyclists or newby cyclists with distaste and intolerance. Such a shame. But I'm here and I'm new and not scared off yet.

My advice to brand new cyclists is that it takes about 5 rides before the butt pain fades but stick with it. Slow and steady. Don't let anyone try to push you too far mile wise and listen to your body!

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
I'm totally new to cycling but lucky enough to have a very experienced and avid cycling hubby. He let me choose my bike myself and was impressed with my choice and didn't feel the need to intervene. He said it will do me for the foreseeable future.

Have found the forum so far to have a number of people who look at lady cyclists, hobby cyclists or newby cyclists with distaste and intolerance. Such a shame. But I'm here and I'm new and not scared off yet.

My advice to brand new cyclists is that it takes about 5 rides before the butt pain fades but stick with it. Slow and steady. Don't let anyone try to push you too far mile wise and listen to your body!
haven't noticed anything like that, I for one love to cycle behind ladies, for a well known reasons :angel:

Torvi

mr poopmechanic
love the booty praise the booty

Not everyone here is like this - some of us are passionate about the cycling, and want it to continue to grow as a recreational event, and therefore often disregard the views of those who bring nothing but conjecture, insult, and very little else to this forum. I think that reading threads is a little like mining.... some fantastic nuggets of information amongst the myriad of uninteresting, vapid commentary.

Miles, strength, and speed take time, and people might often feel that there is no need to progress to extremes - my advice is just to do your own thing, and most importantly, enjoy it - cycling really can be life enhancing!

Hi now I don't know if this will help you or not but here I go ! I joined on here in 2012 after having been diagnosed with sleep apnea then after informing both the DVLA & my insurance company noproblem with the former but the insurance was a different story this went through the roof to the point that it was just not worth if for the mileage I was doing. So I bought a bike fr om outside a local paper shop ok strange place but the guy is a keen cyclist, ant way this was a mtb in good order but still had it's original components ! Any way it was only purchased so I was able to get to the bank ( having sampled local transport) I got seriously involved and over the last few years has things wore out/broke etc I simply replaced these components with far better ones lol. Over the last two years I bought other bikes which I must admit some of them where mistakes and got sold on,at this time I now have three but the daft thing I still prefer the bike shaped object that I got from the paper shop lol. So in conclustion don't over worry about what you get for a start you will upgrade it at some point and if you go to your lbs they should be able to advise you far better than this silly old sod on his bso.

Most decent law breaking people wont even have bothered with this bit. I suggest you not bother informing future insurance companies. The ass rapin you get in return for being totally legal just isnt worth it. Lets face it, insurance companies seem to be encouraging people to break the law.

Ern1e

Über Member
Most decent law breaking people wont even have bothered with this bit. I suggest you not bother informing future insurance companies. The ass rapin you get in return for being totally legal just isnt worth it. Lets face it, insurance companies seem to be encouraging people to break the law.
Whilst I do know what you mean by this you don't always have a choice depending on which hospital you end up under , mine just simply told me that I had to do so but some one else I know who is under another the hospital aksed them who they was insured with then they told botn the dvla and insurers ( bl**dy spliters) plus should you have an accident and they found out well then the sh1t really hit the fan ! So rather than take the " risk " my thought was better to dob myself in and tell the truth ! So three years later who needs a car lol.

GuyBoden

Guru
It's my second week back on a road bike after many, many years, my fifth ride was a 18 mile round trip to Arley Hall and back. It's a nice, pleasant ride in Cheshire, but maybe a bit too far. The inclines are still a big effort, but I'm sure (hoping) they will get easier.

GuyBoden

Guru
My advice to newbies.

If you're older like me and have just got back on a bike, I'd practice looking behind your shoulders, both left and right on the settee while watching T.V.

Looking behind each shoulder is essential when riding a bike in traffic, but if you've not done it for a while the neck muscles need to get re-accustomed to this movement.

Top Bottom