My advice to newbies.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by andyfromotley, 30 Jun 2008.

1. Ern1e

Ern1e Über Member

Whilst I do know what you mean by this you don't always have a choice depending on which hospital you end up under , mine just simply told me that I had to do so but some one else I know who is under another the hospital aksed them who they was insured with then they told botn the dvla and insurers ( bl**dy spliters) plus should you have an accident and they found out well then the sh1t really hit the fan ! So rather than take the " risk " my thought was better to dob myself in and tell the truth ! So three years later who needs a car lol.

2. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

It's my second week back on a road bike after many, many years, my fifth ride was a 18 mile round trip to Arley Hall and back. It's a nice, pleasant ride in Cheshire, but maybe a bit too far. The inclines are still a big effort, but I'm sure (hoping) they will get easier.

3. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

My advice to newbies.

If you're older like me and have just got back on a bike, I'd practice looking behind your shoulders, both left and right on the settee while watching T.V.

Looking behind each shoulder is essential when riding a bike in traffic, but if you've not done it for a while the neck muscles need to get re-accustomed to this movement.

Postmanhat, RegG and stoatsngroats like this.
  4. Vickivix

Vickivix Active Member

That's really helpful. My neck is quite tight, so just doing that will hopefully help.

5. RegG

RegG Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience 'neck ache'! I will have to try looking behind me whilst watching TV ^_^

blamelouis likes this.
  6. leedsmick

leedsmick Well-Known Member

Just read through this whole thread. I didn't realise there was such a stigma attached to buying from Halfords. I suppose you don't know until you find out. Personally my experience with the one in Leeds (kirkstall) was excellent. I am slightly concerned with the comments on set ups but would I know by now if something was wrong? I've done 141 in the 3 weeks I've had it off and on road and to a beginner it seems perfect. The Carrera, which is what I got seems to be half accepted but are all the proper cyclists laughing at me as they fly by? One thing I didn't consider was the area round me. It's very hilly and have found I've been mainly riding the roads so perhaps my choice of MTB was hasty but at least I have the choice to go off into the woods and act like a kid again!

stoatsngroats likes this.
  7. stoatsngroats

stoatsngroats Veteran

^^^ Im a proper cyclist, but I don't race, don't have a racer, and don't (now) do more than about 40 miles.... and Halfords are fine if you are observant, and know what you want... If you don't know what you want, some of the Halfords staff are really helpful, others not so much, but this is no different in other suppliers (or those I have tried).

Carrera are fine, I've had 2 a current 2015 and a 2008, and have no issues which have been unmanageable.

Enjoy your bike, and your rides, and don;t let others opinions affect your decisions! :smile:

leedsmick likes this.
  8. leedsmick

leedsmick Well-Known Member

Great advice, nice one.

9. inara

inara New Member

Hi all,

I've been reading through this thread but think I've gotten myself more confused than when I began, so advice would not go astray!

I am planning on getting a bike through a very generous work cycle to work scheme. I'm mainly planning on using to cycle to/from work (20 mins tops) and maybe to take out on weekends sometimes. I was thinking a hybrid might be best for this - given advice above?

I was planning on getting a Pashley Princess Sovereign, but now that the aesthetic excitement has wound down I'm not so sure. I'm very little, only 5'1 and wonder if it will be too heavy?

I also live/work in zone 2 in London so I'm concerned about security outside work (planning on getting insurance but don't want to have to end up calling them every few months cos the seat/wheels/basket have been nicked).

My flat is pretty small but I was going to clear out the front cupboard and put a bike shelf in there, but the one I have bought definitely won't fit a Pashley princess in it. I'm a bit concerned they all seem to be made for straight top tube bikes, what about women's hybrids?!

Any advice on the above, or on what to purchase generally would be brilliant. I can spend up to about £500 at Evans Cycles so I think that's a fairly generous budget? And as you can tell, I did like the look of the Pashley, but I'm willing to give that up for piece of mind/storage concerns.

Thanks in advance.

10. Postmanhat

Postmanhat Senior Member

A few sessions on the velodrome helped me with this as well. Moving out of your line on the track is very dangerous if you don't check behind you. But paradoxically, looking behind you can cause you to move off the line if you don't get it right. The key things seem to be

- Don't turn your head too much. You only need to know what's 10-20 yards behind you at most

- Look down a bit more probably more than you naturally would. Unless you've got a flock of seagulls after you, anything above head height is irrelevant

11. tinandvarnish404

tinandvarnish404 New Member

12. CARiD

CARiD New Member

Yes, I have a road bike and yes my neck hurts from looking forward sometimes. Excellent thread by the way!

13. ian turner

ian turner Über Member

Check out Decathlon and their selection of hybrids. They're considered good value for money and when it gets stolen it won't be quite so painful buying a new one. If you intend to leave it anywhere public then you'll be looking at a heavy duty d lock with a gold rating.
    Mind you last time I was sitting outside the BFI there was a bike still securely locked to the riverside railings but the rear wheel had a rather strange shape.

14. Kopper

Kopper New Member

I learnt to ride a bike, little over a month ago. I brought an Apollo transfer (the cheapest bike in my local Halfords). I'm so new to biking that I don't know any makes or models. I can't do any basic repairs and I don't know if the bike I have is any good.
    Although I do know I want a faster bike.
    The other day I was pedalling away for dear life, only to see another rider whizz pass me. I noticed they weren't even pedalling! And when they were they weren't putting in the same effort as me.

This, unfortunately, is a regular occurrence.

What bike do I need and how much will it cost?

15. Kopper

Kopper New Member

I can now answer my own post.

I don't need a new bike I just need to pedal more efficiently and keep building the strength in my legs to do so.

iancity likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice