My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
My advice to newbies.

If you're older like me and have just got back on a bike, I'd practice looking behind your shoulders, both left and right on the settee while watching T.V.

Looking behind each shoulder is essential when riding a bike in traffic, but if you've not done it for a while the neck muscles need to get re-accustomed to this movement.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience 'neck ache'! I will have to try looking behind me whilst watching TV ^_^

leedsmick

Just read through this whole thread. I didn't realise there was such a stigma attached to buying from Halfords. I suppose you don't know until you find out. Personally my experience with the one in Leeds (kirkstall) was excellent. I am slightly concerned with the comments on set ups but would I know by now if something was wrong? I've done 141 in the 3 weeks I've had it off and on road and to a beginner it seems perfect. The Carrera, which is what I got seems to be half accepted but are all the proper cyclists laughing at me as they fly by? One thing I didn't consider was the area round me. It's very hilly and have found I've been mainly riding the roads so perhaps my choice of MTB was hasty but at least I have the choice to go off into the woods and act like a kid again!

^^^ Im a proper cyclist, but I don't race, don't have a racer, and don't (now) do more than about 40 miles.... and Halfords are fine if you are observant, and know what you want... If you don't know what you want, some of the Halfords staff are really helpful, others not so much, but this is no different in other suppliers (or those I have tried).

Carrera are fine, I've had 2 a current 2015 and a 2008, and have no issues which have been unmanageable.

Enjoy your bike, and your rides, and don;t let others opinions affect your decisions! :smile:

inara

Hi all,

I've been reading through this thread but think I've gotten myself more confused than when I began, so advice would not go astray!

I am planning on getting a bike through a very generous work cycle to work scheme. I'm mainly planning on using to cycle to/from work (20 mins tops) and maybe to take out on weekends sometimes. I was thinking a hybrid might be best for this - given advice above?

I was planning on getting a Pashley Princess Sovereign, but now that the aesthetic excitement has wound down I'm not so sure. I'm very little, only 5'1 and wonder if it will be too heavy?

I also live/work in zone 2 in London so I'm concerned about security outside work (planning on getting insurance but don't want to have to end up calling them every few months cos the seat/wheels/basket have been nicked).

My flat is pretty small but I was going to clear out the front cupboard and put a bike shelf in there, but the one I have bought definitely won't fit a Pashley princess in it. I'm a bit concerned they all seem to be made for straight top tube bikes, what about women's hybrids?!

Any advice on the above, or on what to purchase generally would be brilliant. I can spend up to about £500 at Evans Cycles so I think that's a fairly generous budget? And as you can tell, I did like the look of the Pashley, but I'm willing to give that up for piece of mind/storage concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Postmanhat

My advice to newbies.

If you're older like me and have just got back on a bike, I'd practice looking behind your shoulders, both left and right on the settee while watching T.V.

Looking behind each shoulder is essential when riding a bike in traffic, but if you've not done it for a while the neck muscles need to get re-accustomed to this movement.

A few sessions on the velodrome helped me with this as well. Moving out of your line on the track is very dangerous if you don't check behind you. But paradoxically, looking behind you can cause you to move off the line if you don't get it right. The key things seem to be

- Don't turn your head too much. You only need to know what's 10-20 yards behind you at most

- Look down a bit more probably more than you naturally would. Unless you've got a flock of seagulls after you, anything above head height is irrelevant

Hi all,

I've been reading through this thread but think I've gotten myself more confused than when I began, so advice would not go astray!

I am planning on getting a bike through a very generous work cycle to work scheme. I'm mainly planning on using to cycle to/from work (20 mins tops) and maybe to take out on weekends sometimes. I was thinking a hybrid might be best for this - given advice above?

I was planning on getting a Pashley Princess Sovereign, but now that the aesthetic excitement has wound down I'm not so sure. I'm very little, only 5'1 and wonder if it will be too heavy?

I also live/work in zone 2 in London so I'm concerned about security outside work (planning on getting insurance but don't want to have to end up calling them every few months cos the seat/wheels/basket have been nicked).

My flat is pretty small but I was going to clear out the front cupboard and put a bike shelf in there, but the one I have bought definitely won't fit a Pashley princess in it. I'm a bit concerned they all seem to be made for straight top tube bikes, what about women's hybrids?!

Any advice on the above, or on what to purchase generally would be brilliant. I can spend up to about £500 at Evans Cycles so I think that's a fairly generous budget? And as you can tell, I did like the look of the Pashley, but I'm willing to give that up for piece of mind/storage concerns.

Thanks in advance.
Check out Decathlon and their selection of hybrids. They're considered good value for money and when it gets stolen it won't be quite so painful buying a new one. If you intend to leave it anywhere public then you'll be looking at a heavy duty d lock with a gold rating.
Mind you last time I was sitting outside the BFI there was a bike still securely locked to the riverside railings but the rear wheel had a rather strange shape.

Kopper

I learnt to ride a bike, little over a month ago. I brought an Apollo transfer (the cheapest bike in my local Halfords). I'm so new to biking that I don't know any makes or models. I can't do any basic repairs and I don't know if the bike I have is any good.
Although I do know I want a faster bike.
The other day I was pedalling away for dear life, only to see another rider whizz pass me. I noticed they weren't even pedalling! And when they were they weren't putting in the same effort as me.

This, unfortunately, is a regular occurrence.

What bike do I need and how much will it cost?

Kopper

I learnt to ride a bike, little over a month ago. I brought an Apollo transfer (the cheapest bike in my local Halfords). I'm so new to biking that I don't know any makes or models. I can't do any basic repairs and I don't know if the bike I have is any good.
Although I do know I want a faster bike.
The other day I was pedalling away for dear life, only to see another rider whizz pass me. I noticed they weren't even pedalling! And when they were they weren't putting in the same effort as me.

This, unfortunately, is a regular occurrence.

What bike do I need and how much will it cost?

I can now answer my own post.

I don't need a new bike I just need to pedal more efficiently and keep building the strength in my legs to do so.

Yorkyred

Regular
Ok new to Cycling after 20 years off a bike and enjoying my first 12 mile ride yesterday. I'v swapped my car for a bike after losing sing my car allowance at work. I purchased a Cannondale Caadx 105 and other than it feeling quite a firm ride it's great. Any recommendations on what to drink while out, just used water yesterday ?

13 rider

Guru
Ok new to Cycling after 20 years off a bike and enjoying my first 12 mile ride yesterday. I'v swapped my car for a bike after losing sing my car allowance at work. I purchased a Cannondale Caadx 105 and other than it feeling quite a firm ride it's great. Any recommendations on what to drink while out, just used water yesterday ?
Water or orange squash is fine you don't need energy drinks or electrolytes for shortish rides .I now only use orange squash even on longer rides 100 miles tried electrolytes didn't do much for me . Just drink before your thirsty little and often . If you can't already learn to drink and ride at the same time

Yorkyred

Regular
Water or orange squash is fine you don't need energy drinks or electrolytes for shortish rides .I now only use orange squash even on longer rides 100 miles tried electrolytes didn't do much for me . Just drink before your thirsty little and often . If you can't already learn to drink and ride at the same time
Cheers, must admit I see all these drink supplement's for sale nod did wonder if water was now so old school.

Top Bottom