1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My advice to newbies.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by andyfromotley, 30 Jun 2008.

1. Yorkyred

Yorkyred Regular

Ok new to Cycling after 20 years off a bike and enjoying my first 12 mile ride yesterday. I'v swapped my car for a bike after losing sing my car allowance at work. I purchased a Cannondale Caadx 105 and other than it feeling quite a firm ride it's great. Any recommendations on what to drink while out, just used water yesterday ?

Roxy641 likes this.
  2. Yorkyred

Yorkyred Regular

By the way great service from my Local Bike shop who sold me the right frame size. Halfords stated I needed a 54cm which was too big in my view.

3. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

Water or orange squash is fine you don't need energy drinks or electrolytes for shortish rides .I now only use orange squash even on longer rides 100 miles tried electrolytes didn't do much for me . Just drink before your thirsty little and often . If you can't already learn to drink and ride at the same time

4. Yorkyred

Yorkyred Regular

Cheers, must admit I see all these drink supplement's for sale nod did wonder if water was now so old school.

5. pirsos

pirsos New Member

great advices

6. ccelegance

ccelegance New Member

I'm new to cycling, I've not cycled in 10 years when I was a kid. I recently purchased a pendleton bike and loving it :smile:

7. Alltalk

Alltalk Regular

Depends. That is about the most basic bike available bar a supermarket or Sports Direct. Good that you are making an effort and all but you will enjoy it a lot more with something better quality. Under £200 can get you something decent 2nd hand - but unless you know the basics it's going to be a viper's nest.

Good luck and happy riding anyway x

8. DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01 Senior Member

I agree with carreras being a good bike i have had the Carrera vengeance for a couple of years now bought second hand stripped it down and rebuilt it new tyres / tubes rear cassette brake pads etc so i know its put together o/k and i have been more than happy with it.
    If i had Halfrauds build a bike i would certainly want to check it over before ridding it.:bicycle:

9. Liz Su

Liz Su Über Member

In your position I would get a folder and take it inside work,I personally wouldnt leave a £500 bike on the street by itself for long periods in London.Also it will fit o.k inside your flat and you can take it on the tube if needed. Something like this https://www.evanscycles.com/tern-link-c7-2016-folding-bike-EV219826

10. Nicelinice

Nicelinice Member

This helped a lot! :smile:

11. Velominati

Velominati Well-Known Member

I have bought a few bikes from Halfords and I've never had any problems, the mechanic seemed to know his stuff, perhaps each store is different.

stoatsngroats likes this.
  12. stoatsngroats

stoatsngroats Veteran

@Velominati Wow! y post was from 2008! I think that Halfords have changed quite a bit since then, and I still think that they are fine for Carrera and now Boardman. So, for me, still a good place to go, if they are all that is local to you, and considering a new bike.
    As always though, you need to consider what you are getting for your cash, and compare the online deals (and the wait involved getting your new bike this way) before you part with your cash.
    I have purchased 2 used bikes in the last 8 weeks, because I know what I wanted, and Carrera/Boardman etc didn't have what I wanted. A friend has urchased a Ribble, from one of their weekly deals, so it is about making one's own choice.
    I still have BC membership, and will still visit Halfords as a result!

13. GeorgeCurios

GeorgeCurios New Member

Great piece of advice

14. Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig Über Member

Just remember that getting the right fit is more important than getting a good deal on a bike. You may find that the bike you think is right for you is a wrong fit.

Philhh and Bicykell like this.
  15. CycleD

CycleD Regular

I brought a bike several years ago from Halfords and 20 minutes into my ride home after they put it together the handle bars popped out leaving me riding my bike like something out of a Laural and Hardy sketch