My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ccelegance

I'm new to cycling, I've not cycled in 10 years when I was a kid. I recently purchased a pendleton bike and loving it :smile:

Alltalk

Regular
I can now answer my own post.

I don't need a new bike I just need to pedal more efficiently and keep building the strength in my legs to do so.

Depends. That is about the most basic bike available bar a supermarket or Sports Direct. Good that you are making an effort and all but you will enjoy it a lot more with something better quality. Under £200 can get you something decent 2nd hand - but unless you know the basics it's going to be a viper's nest.

Good luck and happy riding anyway x

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I think the problem with halfords is not necessarily the bikes, the carreras for example tend to be very good, but unfortunately if you are a beginner you cannot necessarily rely on them to put the bike together properly or even in a way that makes it safe to ride.
I agree with carreras being a good bike i have had the Carrera vengeance for a couple of years now bought second hand stripped it down and rebuilt it new tyres / tubes rear cassette brake pads etc so i know its put together o/k and i have been more than happy with it.
If i had Halfrauds build a bike i would certainly want to check it over before ridding it.:bicycle:

Velominati

Great post Andy, I just have 1 concern...

....is surely much too strong, I think Halfords bikes are pretty good for the uninitiated, I have a racer (Carrera) and think it's perfectly good for my commutes, leisure rides, and prospective JoGLE next year.

I have no links with Halfords, nor any other party involved with their suplliers etc, I just feel that this should be watered down, or completely removed....
;)
I have bought a few bikes from Halfords and I've never had any problems, the mechanic seemed to know his stuff, perhaps each store is different.

@Velominati Wow! y post was from 2008! I think that Halfords have changed quite a bit since then, and I still think that they are fine for Carrera and now Boardman. So, for me, still a good place to go, if they are all that is local to you, and considering a new bike.
As always though, you need to consider what you are getting for your cash, and compare the online deals (and the wait involved getting your new bike this way) before you part with your cash.
I have purchased 2 used bikes in the last 8 weeks, because I know what I wanted, and Carrera/Boardman etc didn't have what I wanted. A friend has urchased a Ribble, from one of their weekly deals, so it is about making one's own choice.
I still have BC membership, and will still visit Halfords as a result!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Just remember that getting the right fit is more important than getting a good deal on a bike. You may find that the bike you think is right for you is a wrong fit.

CycleD

Regular
I brought a bike several years ago from Halfords and 20 minutes into my ride home after they put it together the handle bars popped out leaving me riding my bike like something out of a Laural and Hardy sketch

I've got a couple of old road bikes that I bought for $40 USD each and refurbished. A 24" frame LeTour and a 20" frame Huffy for backup and guests.
I notice that a lot of road and paved trail riders strip their machines down to nothing. I've a bottle holder, extra reflectors, tube & repair, hand pump, LCD torch, etc.
I don't mind the extra weight. It's much the same theory as runners sometimes putting on ankle and wrist weight.
My thought is that I just get a little more out of my workout.

bicyclessm.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
Learn to maintain your bike, give it a 10min check it over before every long(ish) ride, that's the tyres, wheels, brakes, gears, chain and make sure nothing is loose.

david k

Hi
Spin your legs faster than feels natural at first, use lower gears than feels right, it will eventually feel normal and you will get less thigh muscle burn from stomping then stopping, stomping then stopping.

So think spin in circles faster than a walking tempo and slower than a sprint

Moojii

Newbie here.

Not cycled for nigh on 20 years and my wife and I feel it's time to lose some weight and get out there. Our 8 year old has been badgering us too as she loves cycling.

Went to oi local shop at the weekend and bought a forme peak trail 3 for me and a python Daytona for the missus.

Can't wait to pick them up next Saturday.

Top Bottom