My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments on what you posted.

Never ignore motorists. Yes, it's generally a good idea not to let them provoke you, but never ignore them, because if they do something unpredictable and/or stupid, you need to be prepared for it.

I agree with this. I generally do the same if I think a bus driver is about to leave his stop. I'll stop behind the bus, but not so close I get the full impact of the bus' filthy exhaust fumes, and I'll always stop in primary position, in case some motorist tries to squeeze past me.

When I meant ignore I meant if they say something stupid. Isn't it a driver that has a go at you bassically a bully and like what do you do when you get bullied. Ignore it or tell someone. You don't really confront them as that tends to make it worse. So why would you confront a driver about his actions?. Plus whenever I've ignored people they don't do anything afterwards. Because if you say something back it's bound to escalate as isn't that what road rage is?

True I don't notice the fumes of the bus near me (But I don't know if that's because sometimes the drivers seem to switch there engine off for one minuite and then back on again.) But if the bus is blocking the view of the other lane to overtake I stay behind and wait because you don't want to cycle into oncoming traffic. and I agree with primary position or if the bus is. about to turn etc..

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Be visible and heard- have lights at dawn dusk and night which is the law. Also reflective chlothing and flurescont is a good idea. If you don't have any of these and just cycle when it's light outside wear bright chlothing and if possible if you wear a helmet try to also get a bright colour

Very good advice, given the following proviso - ride where you can be seen, i.e. not in the gutter. Primary at junctions, through roundabouts, and through pinch points. Secondary when the roads are wide enough to allow safe overtaking. If you can't be seen then no amount of hi-viz and/or lights will matter. Also be aware that strangely enough, hi - viz can blend into the background in busy urban areas.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Very good advice, given the following proviso - ride where you can be seen, i.e. not in the gutter. Primary at junctions, through roundabouts, and through pinch points. Secondary when the roads are wide enough to allow safe overtaking. If you can't be seen then no amount of hi-viz and/or lights will matter. Also be aware that strangely enough, hi - viz can blend into the background in busy urban areas.
Also in the countryside in certain conditions. Yellow flourescent clothing can be quite good camouflage in fog.

Reactions: mjr

Randombiker9

Yeah, cyclists shouldn’t ride in gutter as 1. You could get a flat or there’s quite a few hazards e.g potholes etc... in gutters that could cause you to fall off. The only time it’s ok to ride in the gutter is if like a veichle or HGV or bus close overtakes you too closely which pretty much forces you into the gutter. But even then it’s better to get back in your position away from the gutter after the vehicle has overtaken u. Primary through roundabouts is just spossed to prevent drives being idiots e.g close passes, turning infront of u when ur going straight etc... not to mention cars don’t always indicate or are in the wrong lane etc....
If you think about it pretty much any clothing can blend in to environment. Also not to mention like HGV’s it’s all ways best to cycle in front or wait behind till it’s completed it’s turn at a junction etc..

RegG

Über Member
And another piece of advice following the witnessing of a very silly bit of riding this morning that could easily of ended up with the rider suffering serious injury....... don't ignore red traffic lights! This mornings incident saw a cyclist (all kitted out on a nice looking carbon bike) ride down the outside of a queue of traffic waiting at a red light at roadworks then completely ignore the red light to ride in front of traffic from his right as it moved away on a green light. So stupid!

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
And another piece of advice following the witnessing of a very silly bit of riding this morning that could easily of ended up with the rider suffering serious injury....... don't ignore red traffic lights! This mornings incident saw a cyclist (all kitted out on a nice looking carbon bike) ride down the outside of a queue of traffic waiting at a red light at roadworks then completely ignore the red light to ride in front of traffic from his right moved away on a green light. So stupid!
Yep, so obvious that you'd think it shouldn't need saying, but...

gqtuazon

Just checking in. Newbie to road bikes. Still trying to digest a lot of information to have a more pleasant and safe ride.

Dbt

When on cycle tracks ride on the left, same as you would on the road. I nearly had a head on crash on my way home last night. Two cyclists coming towards me, the lead cyclist moved to his left the woman following him didn’t, leaving me virtually no where to go. Luckily she wobbled further to the right so I could just squeeze between them.

gqtuazon

When on cycle tracks ride on the left, same as you would on the road. I nearly had a head on crash on my way home last night. Two cyclists coming towards me, the lead cyclist moved to his left the woman following him didn’t, leaving me virtually no where to go. Luckily she wobbled further to the right so I could just squeeze between them.

Does that apply to a specific country or it is a universal assumption?

Top Bottom