My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for all your help...really nice of you to find out more details on it
Ok ... i have now ordered the triban womans road flat bar . This one

But then i saw another model same brand that is far cheaper.£249. I dont understand the difference so thinking of ordering that one too and then test riding both to see what the difference is

Sorry for so many questions!

Ive tried to be detailed and compare tech features. Ride quality and comfort is individual- that is for test rides.

The cheaper bike has a single front chain ring gearing 700C wheels
44t chainring
Cassette 14-28t
Gear inches(dont worry tech) wider the number the better 41"-83"

The slightly more expensive has double front chainrings gearing 700C wheels
50/34t chainrings
Cassette 11-32t
Gear inches 28"-120"

The double chainring bike has greater range and lower gearing for hills

Your current bike Pendleton Brooke 26" wheels
triple chainrings 48/38/28
14-28t cassette Gear inch 23-82"

23-82" Bold number lower is better for cycling easily up hills
23-82" Bold number faster you go downhill slopes or flat roads

Four questions for you

Height-cant remember?
What is your max budget-be honest?
Why flat bar and not consider drop bars?
Did you walk up Ditchling beacon when you did London to Brighton?

I/We can search for suitable bikes and give you an honest opinion. I'm not biased to one brand or another just functionality for your up coming event
This article has some helpful tips on what to look for in a womans road bike. Ignore prices for the higher models https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group...-buyers-guide-to-female-specific-bikes-321311

https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/avail-2 Giant bikes
This bike if its your price range and height is a good deal
Spec 700C wheels
chainrings 50/34
cassette 11-34 gear inches 26-120"
Fits riders 5'0" and upwards

Dealers in London https://www.liv-cycling.com/gb/retailers

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
@CXRAndy she’s 5’2

Most people end up walking Ditchling on L2B due to the volume of people!

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy she’s 5’2

Most people end up walking Ditchling on L2B due to the volume of people!

Ta 5'2" then the LIV or Dolce would be suitable if I can understand the issue around drop bars?

Re Ditchling. its a good indicator for fitness and gearing on the bike they attempted it on. Did they struggle with very slow cadence or were they able to spin away seated

I doubt there is anything more severe a hill on the London to Paris route

Thanks for all your help...really nice of you to find out more details on it
Ok ... i have now ordered the triban womans road flat bar . This one

But then i saw another model same brand that is far cheaper.£249. I dont understand the difference so thinking of ordering that one too and then test riding both to see what the difference is

Sorry for so many questions!
The Intermediate is a better-specced, lighter machine with a 2x9 gearing setup, as opposed to 1x9. Worth the difference if the sizing is right, I'd say.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ta 5'2" then the LIV or Dolce would be suitable if I can understand the issue around drop bars?

Re Ditchling. its a good indicator for fitness and gearing on the bike they attempted it on. Did they struggle with very slow cadence or were they able to spin away seated

I doubt there is anything more severe a hill on the London to Paris route
I think her average speed is low on the Pendleton, 10mph, but that might be a London commute so not necessarily genuinely that slow

Some people just don't like drops, but it may be a confidence or getting used to thing. I have crosslever brakes on 4/5 drop bar bikes and I barely ever ride the 5th. They are definitely worth adding esp if riding in traffic (both of my female cycling friends have them too)

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I think her average speed is low on the Pendleton, 10mph, but that might be a London commute so not necessarily genuinely that slow

Some people just don't like drops, but it may be a confidence or getting used to thing. I have crosslever brakes on 4/5 drop bar bikes and I barely ever ride the 5th. They are definitely worth adding esp if riding in traffic (both of my female cycling friends have them too)

I didn't want to over complicate things with extra add-ons. Just off the shelf bike that will fit her and do the job well. Until she replies and gives us a bit more information, the better we are informed. By the timing of her posts it will be tomorrow for a reply

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't want to over complicate things with extra add-ons. Just off the shelf bike that will fit her and do the job well. Until she replies and gives us a bit more information, the better we are informed. By the timing of her posts it will be tomorrow for a reply
A £20 pair of secondary brakes is hardly over complicating :smile: indeed plenty of wsd bikes have as standard, eg Avails certainly did in the past if not still. Plenty of women including myself struggle to brake confidently on brifters due to hood size, smaller hands, shorter fingers. It’s the reason my bikes have sram not Shimano as the hoods are slimmer and why hydraulic discs are a no go for me. Can’t add secondary levers and the hoods are huge (and fugly). And I’m not petite in any way!

I’m sure she’s said before why drops aren’t for her if you look at past posts

Bhitucyclist

Yup, been there...my son managed to latch on to the wheel of a thrusting, yelling roadie and got up in one go!
I am less than 5 feet :sad:

Bhitucyclist

A £20 pair of secondary brakes is hardly over complicating :smile: indeed plenty of wsd bikes have as standard, eg Avails certainly did in the past if not still. Plenty of women including myself struggle to brake confidently on brifters due to hood size, smaller hands, shorter fingers. It’s the reason my bikes have sram not Shimano as the hoods are slimmer and why hydraulic discs are a no go for me. Can’t add secondary levers and the hoods are huge (and fugly). And I’m not petite in any way!

I’m sure she’s said before why drops aren’t for her if you look at past posts
I am just not used to the drops and feel its too late to try... plus the main practice i get is commuting and cycling around in london using the cs routes .... so dont want to mess on a bike if i am not confident in handling it .

Bhitucyclist

The Intermediate is a better-specced, lighter machine with a 2x9 gearing setup, as opposed to 1x9. Worth the difference if the sizing is right, I'd say.
Yes i am trying it possibly tomorrow.
But if i can get something faster cheaper that will do the job for L2P then my thinking was why dont i try that also.
When i did L2B on the pendelton i walked up DB. If there is a similar hill again possibly i will walk up.
But going downhill i find a bit scary .... so my preference is a bike on which i can do a more controlled descent

vickster

Legendary Member
I am less than 5 feet :sad:
Ah why not look at the flat bar Wiggins that @Reynard has recommended to you previously?

Fwiw I actually far prefer drops than flat bars in traffic as they're much narrower, better for filtering, going through gaps etc...but with cross lever brakes as I feel more confident and sit more upright so can see further ahead in the traffic feeling safer...this bearing in mind I'm five ten

Last edited:

Bhitucyclist

Ah why not look at the flat bar Wiggins that @Reynard has recommended to you previously?

Fwiw I actually far prefer drops than flat bars in traffic as they're much narrower, better for filtering, going through gaps etc...but with cross lever brakes as I feel more confident and sit more upright so can see further ahead in the traffic feeling safer...this bearing in mind I'm five ten
I thought wiggins only offers drop handle road bikes

The Wiggins has mechanical disc brakes, so good stopping power, plus they'll cope with being "feathered" on descents.

26 inch wheels - I run narrower tyres than the ones supplied.

Triple up front - 44 / 32 / 22

9-speed rear - 11 - 34

That lot should get you up most hills.

Bike weighs a smidgin over 11kg as supplied, so nice and light - mine is kitted out with full guards, rack and panniers and a frame mounted pump so does come in at a bit more.

I've also got ergon grips with bar ends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom