My Amazon Fire seems to have died on me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just over 12 months old (a family present to me).
I use it most days but just Wordle and Facebook.
Put it on charge last night and today it is totally dead......it just will not switch on, no sign of life.
Any thoughts/ideas ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Try a different charging cable? I find cheaper USB cables tend to break after a lot of use.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just over 12 months old (a family present to me).
I use it most days but just Wordle and Facebook.
Put it on charge last night and today it is totally dead......it just will not switch on, no sign of life.
Any thoughts/ideas ?

Can you see an indicator light of any sort when it's plugged in? If there's a red light hold down the power for 20 seconds to ensure it's switched off. Leave on charge for three hours before switching on. If there's a green light hold down power button for 40 seconds which should shutdown, reboot and switch on.

If that doesn't work try charging from a USB port on a laptop/PC to see if the charger is at fault. If it charges then the charger is faulty. Lastly I've devices which just don't like particular cables, try a different cable and make sure it's very firmly in the charging port.

You may gather this house has been there, done that, got the T-shirt 👍

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Can you see an indicator light of any sort when it's plugged in? If there's a red light hold down the power for 20 seconds to ensure it's switched off. Leave on charge for three hours before switching on. If there's a green light hold down power button for 40 seconds which should shutdown, reboot and switch on.

If that doesn't work try charging from a USB port on a laptop/PC to see if the charger is at fault. If it charges then the charger is faulty. Lastly I've devices which just don't like particular cables, try a different cable and make sure it's very firmly in the charging port.

You may gather this house has been there, done that, got the T-shirt 👍

There is no red light. Absolutely nothing.

The charging point is fine. We use it for both phones and both tablets.

I will try a different cable and point
Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds as if it's suffered a catastrophic failure - probably the battery. Don't think it would be the charge lead or charger but try another. They are priced so as to be disposable so just not worth spending money to get it repaired. Tough but only thing to do is buy a replacement.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Similar thing just happened to my Samsung phone. Took it to the menders who diagnosed a fault with the processor and un repairable :sad:

wonderloaf

Veteran
Could always buy a refurbished one for £32.99, less hassle than buying and putting a new battery in ...Amazon Certified Refurbished Fire HD 8 Tablet, 8" HD display, 32 GB, Black with Special Offers:
1673186794482.png

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Staging-Product-Not-Retail-Sale/dp/B07WVN6CHZ/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=WFJfh&content-id=amzn1.sym.174592a4-b448-4d40-b99a-45f7f86c619e&pf_rd_p=174592a4-b448-4d40-b99a-45f7f86c619e&pf_rd_r=GM9TXV732GB0B3589ZKQ&pd_rd_wg=TEiAl&pd_rd_r=18d166bd-4325-4475-87d4-79682477b3d9&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

In my experience the refurbished units are usually as good as new . This is the 2020 model which is meant to be a bit slower than the 2022 one, but Mrs W and I have both versions and we really don't notice any difference between them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@PaulSB
@fossyant
I tried a combination of your suggestions ......
Different cable.
Different charge point.
Kept the on/off button depressed for maybe one minute.
And.......
BINGO 🙂🙂.....It came to life.
Many thanks for all suggestions.

Fabulous. I have a Window's tablet that sometimes needs the power button held down for a while otherwise it won't charge.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
This is my worst nightmare. I've had my Fire for nearly ten years and use it loads every day. There's loads of stuff on it which I wouldn't want to lose. I know some stuff is on a cloud somewhere but I wouldn't have the foggiest how to transfer that if my machine went bust. I'm not convinced all the stuff is on the cloud either, I know books I've got through Amazon are but other stuff? Who knows, I certainly don't and part of me is happy muddling along until something goes wrong.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is my worst nightmare. I've had my Fire for nearly ten years and use it loads every day. There's loads of stuff on it which I wouldn't want to lose. I know some stuff is on a cloud somewhere but I wouldn't have the foggiest how to transfer that if my machine went bust. I'm not convinced all the stuff is on the cloud either, I know books I've got through Amazon are but other stuff? Who knows, I certainly don't and part of me is happy muddling along until something goes wrong.

If you have access to a laptop or PC, log in to your Amazon account and see what the back-up/synch settings are. I can't remember of the top of my head, but all your purchases, subscriptions, back-up will be on there somewhere. If you can't find it all my mmuddling around, google how to find it. IME the Amazon platforms have their annoyances but eventually you can view/retrieve all of your activity one way or another

Top Bottom