My best ever hi-fi upgrade - and it didn't cost a penny!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Or to put it another way, no. You need to squirt into your ear...as against showering onto it. FWIW I also cheated - following my wife's advice, I prepared the groundwork by pipetting warm olive oil into the ear, then leaving it a few hours before going at it with the warm water. But the crap that came out when I swooshed it! (Those of a sensitive disposition may wish to look away now...)

View attachment 477612

(The 50p wasn't up there - I added that for scale.)

It really is amazing tho' - I feel like I've been living underwater for months, and have just surfaced. Everything's so clear! (And really significantly louder.)
Blimey, I think that maybe some of your brain in amongst that lot.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Or to put it another way, no. You need to squirt into your ear...as against showering onto it. FWIW I also cheated - following my wife's advice, I prepared the groundwork by pipetting warm olive oil into the ear, then leaving it a few hours before going at it with the warm water. But the crap that came out when I swooshed it! (Those of a sensitive disposition may wish to look away now...)

View attachment 477612

(The 50p wasn't up there - I added that for scale.)

It really is amazing tho' - I feel like I've been living underwater for months, and have just surfaced. Everything's so clear! (And really significantly louder.)

Yuk!

I'm not going to look at mine when it is done!

tom73

Guru
@SpokeyDokey is right that's why no one doses ear syringing anymore.
If you want to risk using one then it's up to you. But you can't maintain the correct pressure and you really risk doing some damage.
The new way is ear irrigation using a machine which maintains a safe constant pressure. in a way that somme using a the old way can't.
Some GP look to be stopping offering it. Funny enough Mrs 73 who is trained in all areas of ear care is looking into offering it as private service.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
@SpokeyDokey is right that's why no one doses ear syringing anymore.
If you want to risk using one then it's up to you. But you can't maintain the correct pressure and you really risk doing some damage.
The new way is ear irrigation using a machine which maintains a safe constant pressure. in a way that somme using a the old way can't.
Some GP look to be stopping offering it. Funny enough Mrs 73 who is trained in all areas of ear care is looking into offering it as private service.
Well there's almost 3000 reviews on that Amazon one, 80% four or five star, and even the one stars basically saying don't waste your money. I couldn't see one mentioning damage. Certainly, having tried it, I struggle to imagine how you could hurt yourself with the bottle & peen method.

Inner ears tell you immediately if you're doing anything bad, by means of excruciating pain. I'm very doubtful about the perils of that Amazon syringe. I'd give it a go. If it works anything like as well as the water, it's a bargain - and the vast majority of people who've bought it say it does. If it really was risky, I can't help thinking at least one reviewer would've mentioned it.

bruce1530

Guru
My dad swears by the Amazon syringe. It seems to work OK. It has 3 “jet holes” pointing sideways, the tip is flared so you can’t stick it too far into your ear, and there are grooves in the tip to let the water back out.

Olive oil or almond oil drops for a while to soften up the wax, then head sideways and a spray with warm water. Then be disgusted....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm going to have to try something like this. I thought I had just gone 75% deaf but every now and then my hearing gets much better for a few seconds before going bad again. For example, when I play Minesweeper on my phone, I normally can't hear anything when clicking on the squares, but sometimes I suddenly start hearing the clicking sound. If, I pull an earlobe around it seems to affect how good or bad my hearing is in that ear - I think I am probably pulling one waxed-up area away from another.

ColinJ

Well there's almost 3000 reviews on that Amazon one, 80% four or five star, and even the one stars basically saying don't waste your money. I couldn't see one mentioning damage. Certainly, having tried it, I struggle to imagine how you could hurt yourself with the bottle & peen method.

Inner ears tell you immediately if you're doing anything bad, by means of excruciating pain. I'm very doubtful about the perils of that Amazon syringe. I'd give it a go. If it works anything like as well as the water, it's a bargain - and the vast majority of people who've bought it say it does. If it really was risky, I can't help thinking at least one reviewer would've mentioned it.
You didn't look hard enough - I found this one in about 20 seconds!
Adam29 said:
The product perforated my ear drum. I have definitely learnt my lesson when it come to getting your ears syringed. Get it done by a professional. The product came with instructions and was easy to use however the flow of water coming through the nozzle was to strong thus causing the perforation... very painful indeed.
:eek:

ColinJ

Fair enough. Must admit I didn't look that hard. Well, at your own risk then. Personally I've ordered one and plan to give it a go.
I will give the warm olive oil a go and maybe just use warm water dripped in rather than squirted.

Perhaps the man with the perforated eardrum squirted the water in way too hard? Certainly, most reviews are positive.

If my DIY approach doesn't work then I will check if my local health centre still does ear syringing.

My dad went very hard of hearing about 5 years before he died. He had his ears degunked and suddenly could hear again. When he turned the TV on afterwards, he was horrified to discover how loud he had been setting its volume to.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I will give the warm olive oil a go and maybe just use warm water dripped in rather than squirted.

Perhaps the man with the perforated eardrum squirted the water in way too hard? Certainly, most reviews are positive.

If my DIY approach doesn't work then I will check if my local health centre still does ear syringing.

My dad went very hard of hearing about 5 years before he died. He had his ears degunked and suddenly could hear again. When he turned the TV on afterwards, he was horrified to discover how loud he had been setting its volume to.
Dripping water in won't achieve anything - you'll just end up with a ear full of oil & water. The oil softens the gunk, the water then physically shifts it out. You do need to squirt, or you won't physically shift anything. I still recommend the bottle & peen method. But like I say, each to his own.

tom73

Guru
If you or anyone want to use an untested, therefore unlicensed medical device then go ahead it's personal choice. You can damage your ear without knowing including perforating your ear drum and pain or lack of it is no way of knowing if you've done anything wrong. Before Mrs 73 was let loose to poke around in ears she had 2 day's of full on training at the NHS national ear care centre.

Funny enough the old medical way of syringing ears I was trained how to do and it was more than just using a syringe 3 times bigger than the one on sale. When you got shown how to do it without knowing the stats it was clear to see it was not a great idea and has long since been shown to be so.
Ask any Dr who's been round a bit and they will come out with age old reply "the only thing you should stick in you ear is the tip of your little finger"

A small amount of Warm olive oil left for 7 days often works in many cases. In fact it's the 1st thing the Nurse will tell you to do if wax is the issue. Many over the counter stuff is now just that or even worse the older type of ear drops that either do very little or for many they woke up the next day looking like an extra off the elephant man.

It's impossible for anyone to really know what's going off in your ear without using a otoscope and having someone at the other end who know's what they are looking at. Wax in your ear is normal the ear needs it so most don't need to be cleaned out every week or when ever. Many things can go wrong with ears inc a very nasty type of infection behind the ear drum that can make you feel like you're on the titanic going down for the 3rd time well in a force 10 gale or even see you ending up in hospital.

@ColinJ You may have some wax , even fluid behind the ear drum or like me a perforated ear drum so small not to know about it.
Book in with the practice Nurse for a check they will soon sort it out. Even if they no longer offer ear irrigation they will still have a look. Shame you're not round the corner Mrs 73 would have look for you.

Top Bottom