My best ever hi-fi upgrade - and it didn't cost a penny!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Perhaps the man with the perforated eardrum squirted the water in way too hard?

That's the very point why the old way was stoped you just can't know if you are doing just that. The new safer way has a constant monitored and regulated pressure.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Or to put it another way, no. You need to squirt into your ear...as against showering onto it. FWIW I also cheated - following my wife's advice, I prepared the groundwork by pipetting warm olive oil into the ear, then leaving it a few hours before going at it with the warm water. But the crap that came out when I swooshed it! (Those of a sensitive disposition may wish to look away now...)

View attachment 477612

(The 50p wasn't up there - I added that for scale.)

It really is amazing tho' - I feel like I've been living underwater for months, and have just surfaced. Everything's so clear! (And really significantly louder.)
That's really good to hear. See what I did there?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm going to have to try something like this. I thought I had just gone 75% deaf but every now and then my hearing gets much better for a few seconds before going bad again. For example, when I play Minesweeper on my phone, I normally can't hear anything when clicking on the squares, but sometimes I suddenly start hearing the clicking sound. If, I pull an earlobe around it seems to affect how good or bad my hearing is in that ear - I think I am probably pulling one waxed-up area away from another.

That's what mine is like. A gentle massage around my right ear and all is well for a short while and then it 'closes' up again.

Same when going up/down hills in the car it will suddenly pop 'open' and all is well for a short while.

Looking forward to 4.15pm tomorrow and getting it sorted.

SpokeyDokey

I wouldn't mind toddling off to see this wax Doctor:

Dr who.jpeg

(Courtesy of Madame Tussauds)

Slick

Guru
I'd always heard it was your elbow.
Me too, I guess we went to posh docs.

SpokeyDokey

Utter bliss and the world has gone very noisy!

I visited the lovely ear lady about an hour ago and she did a terrific job.

First she showed me my blocked ear (the other one was perfectly clear with a nice healthy eardrum according to her) through a camera and it was pretty yucky I have to say - lots of sludgy wax!

Then she did some hoovering which sounded like someone wearing wellies and pulling their foot out of deep mud - went on for quite a while and sounded horrible.

Then she used a warm water pulse to flush out the remoter depths of the ear canal that the hoover cannot reach - that felt really rather nice.

Then I was shown the cleared ear via camera again and another healthy eardrum.

Was worth every penny of my £49.00!

Shouldn't need doing for at least 3-4 years and possibly never again.

I mentioned the PET bottle and Biro malarky and she wasn't surprised but does know of several cases where serious injuries have been caused by using that or similar methods.

@tom73 re your wife's business. 'My' lady did 6 yesterday and I was 3 of 4 today and 5 are booked for tomorrow. She said it was quite a busy week for ear cleans and the workload was steadily increasing due to GP surgeries pulling out of offering the service. I mentioned the liability issue as a reason for this and she said it was partly that and partly because a number of PCT's have decided that this is not a service that they wish to pay GP's for carrying out. I guess there are some politics and budget issues behind that decision!

Top Bottom