My bike has been stolen from work :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
jonny jeez said:
12 year old kids are "outside" the current legal system and the crappackets that do this type of stuff know this all too well.

12 year olds are well inside the legal criminal age. It starts at 10 (ten). Although some lilly liberal do gooders are trying to raise that.

martyp

Horrible feeling reluctant......had a new Raleigh routier stolen outside the library many moons ago...

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
martyp said:
little sod should be locked in a room and forced to listen to jason donovan records...

Yup - that should do it!

The Police finally picked the CCTV footage up 2 days ago!

Makes me laugh because my husband had a car that had a broken gear box and it has been parked (abandoned bascially) behind my (rental) flat for the last 4 years or so - not taxed insured etc and worth about £500 (less than my bike!).

Last week it got nicked and he phoned the Police on Tuesday afternoon about it - Tuesday evening they were in my living room taking a statement!!!!

I wanted to give them a mouthful about my bike but thought better of it!!!

wafflycat

A word on insurance. It is not uncommon for insurance policies to state the kind of lock to be used in order for the insurance to be valid. You *need* to check the small print. If you aren't using an 'approved' lock then you may well find that the insurance is invalidated just at the point when you are making a claim. You may often find that if a specific lock is not named, a specific *type* of lock is. For example, a cable lock may well not be valid, but a D-lock is. It's also common for it to be stated as to what a bike can be locked to in order for the insurance to be valid, with the phrase 'immoveable object' being a common one in use. They key is check the small print - phone up the insurance company and check - better to be safe than sorry.

PBancroft

the reluctant cyclist said:
Yup - that should do it!

Makes me laugh because my husband had a car that had a broken gear box and it has been parked (abandoned bascially) behind my (rental) flat for the last 4 years or so - not taxed insured etc and worth about £500 (less than my bike!).

Last week it got nicked and he phoned the Police on Tuesday afternoon about it - Tuesday evening they were in my living room taking a statement!!!!

I wanted to give them a mouthful about my bike but thought better of it!!!

I do think that's worth putting in a complaint about actually...

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
Got a nre bike yet RC?

No - still on my mountain bike - gutted!

We only got final confirmation that we weren't insured on Friday so my next step is to try and get work to claim - the bike is still officially theirs and they are sort of reluctantly thinking about doing a claim on their insurance - I have tried to guilt them into it by pointing out it was stolen in work time on work premises from a place that they told me would be okay to park (I did complaint that I wasn't comfortable about the parking arrangements!)

If they come back with a definate no (which will take them weeks) then the next option is another cycle to work scheme bike.... one of the Partners has said he will support me so it shouldn't be a problem.... however I reckon all this will take AGES!

I am going to go for a Trek 2.0 I think WSD - whaddya reckon?!!!!

taxing

Bummer, how come they've said you weren't insured?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
the reluctant cyclist said:

I suppose the perceived risk of the car re-appearing full of plastic explosives/bank robbers/ram raiders/or just on fire is probably higher.

Daft though. I had a pair of bikes nicked from the shed and the police turned up a few days later to 'check for prints'. On damp wood. After a couple of nights of rain. Oddly, they didn't find much.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
That's the one! It's supposed to be a good replacement for my pilot 1.0 - I really liked the black colour of the old one but I am sure I can get used to silver!

I've never been to Birmingham City Cycles either - I was going to get it from Daves Cycles in Walsall.

By the way the insurance is really complicated. We started with Royal and Sun Allianced and they got taken over by Norwich Union (or rather our policy did) and then they got changed to Aviva - somewhere in all this our details were swapped from one policy to another - they have said that we never had original cover for the bikes but hubby says he is adamant he did. Unfortunately they are unable to find the original policy schedule that hubby signed (and so is he) so there is just a stalemate between us.

Hubby says he has run out of time and energy to do this now and as the policy is in his name only I can't liaise with them!

Hubby has offered to pay half the cost of a new bike so will let him off just this once!

Feels like a long wait though and a long ride on my mountain bike... to make it worse my daughter's boyfriend has just got into the cycle to work scheme and I have been helping him to pick a bike and will be showing him my route and that so really want my new bike now!

shrew

threebikesmcginty said:
Sorry Dayvo that's illegal!

Metric sizes now, you'll have to use 50 x 100mm :ohmy:

lol..

on the note of your lock, there isnt much you can really do to stop someone getting you bike if they really want it, unless you want to carry around a motorcycle lock with you, sorry to hear of you loss, with any luck, the kid got beaten up in an alley riding it home and got his "new bike" stolen...

Harbornite

I-Cycle in Harborne (Harborne Cycle Surgery) do Giant. Have you tried them?

Nope not yet - I'm not familar with them - are they a good place - I've always used Halesowen Cycles before but now have discovered that they are closed down! Gutted!

I have visted the cycle surgery twice in the past couple of months - quite simply brilliant service, can't recommend them highly enough.

Top Bottom