My bike has been stolen from work :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
g00se said:
You can always leave a serious bike lock at the racks at work - then you don't have to carry it about when you're just commuting between home and the office.
+1 But a word of caution. Its a tactic of some thieves to superglue the keyhole, so when the rider comes to lock their bike they can't an whilst its unlocked the thieves strike :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
the reluctant cyclist said:
I will be keeping the lock at work on the racks now - it's a great big thing that hubby says is v.good - he would have to it's now attached around his bike! :sad:

Let us know the name and model of the lock and we'll happily give you piece of mind and let you know how good it is. Folk's opinion of v. good varys.....

I'm wary of just having locks at home and work. There are any number of reasons why you might want to secure it elsewhere in between. I carry a decent lock with me all the time. Yes, it's heavy. But I've had two bikes nicked, and I was absolutely bereft each time. I don't want that to happen again.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
clarion said:
I'm wary of just having locks at home and work. There are any number of reasons why you might want to secure it elsewhere in between. I carry a decent lock with me all the time. Yes, it's heavy. But I've had two bikes nicked, and I was absolutely bereft each time. I don't want that to happen again.

That's the word I was looking for !!!!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Jezston said:
Kid could be a local scumbag well known to the police.

threebikesmcginty said:
If he's the sort of scroat that makes a habit of nicking stuff they'll know who he is.

I suspect if he has the confidence to go onto a workplace bike shed to nick a bike that he will be well known to the local force. Maybe get a photo of him printed up and give to the security guys in case they see him loitering around again?

the reluctant cyclist said:
Okay dokey - it's my insurance that I need to contact then!

I had a steel cable sort of lock - like lots of twisted cable together - I don't know what it was called - do you know what I mean?

I'm on hubby's Saracen Rufftrax today - that's got a D lock on it.

You're all going to tell me that my lock was rubbish now aren't you!? :wahhey:

Im using a cable lock and it makes me realise how slack I am....Sort of like im complacent...I should be using D lock...I have one there as well.I haven't had a bike nicked since 1990 but when it happens it's horrible....Don't remember the locks but generally if it's been nicked a cable lock or two is involved.

Hope you can replace your bike asap.:evil:

clarion said:

I always carry a spare U-Lock as a few times I have had to dump the bike for various reasons.Last time was when I had all that chain trouble at Mile End and got onto the tube...(2008)

perplexed

Guru
Oh, and check the Bargain Pages or Ebay. You might find it.

I was after a winter bike a couple of months ago and saw a cheap Carerra Subway in the Bargain Pages. I rang and some lad answered and asked which bike I was interested in. When I asked him how many he had, he gave some suspicious story about him and his brother having one each to sell because they were moving house. He then rang me the next day to ask whether I wanted to buy it.

A chum of mine's bike was nicked a few years ago. He went to the local auction house a week or two later in the hope of picking up a cheap replacement, and lo and behold, there was his nicked bike.

He told the auctioneers and the police. They arranged for the auction to be "rigged", and nicked the thieving scum when they turned up to get the "winnings".

Result!

perplexed said:
A chum of mine's bike was nicked a few years ago. He went to the local auction house a week or two later in the hope of picking up a cheap replacement, and lo and behold, there was his nicked bike.

He told the auctioneers and the police. They arranged for the auction to be "rigged", and nicked the thieving scum when they turned up to get the "winnings".

Result!
I do like happy endings :angel:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Just reading this now, sorry to hear about your bike - hope you get a new one soon on insurance but worth getting a better lock as the one you describe is really easy to cut.

Hope you're on your own bike soon-really feel your pain ;)

Top Bottom