My bike has been stolen from work :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JiMBR

jonny jeez said:
Still, as fossy puts it, the new years range beckons;) (there's always a silver lining)

Here's to a swift insurance settlement and a new shiny trek:cheers:

+1 Every cloud! :evil:

Jezston

Über Member
You have gone to the police, right? Well, I assume you have to to claim on your insurance.

Kid could be a local scumbag well known to the police. If so they'll catch him, and they might even be able to get your bike back as I'm sure a 12 year old can be more easily pressured into telling the cops who he gave/sold it to. Could even result in someone dealing stolen bikes getting done which could have a massive effect on local bike thefts.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
I'm sure a 12 year old can be more easily pressured into telling the cops who he gave/sold it to. .

I think not.

12 year old kids are "outside" the current legal system and the crappackets that do this type of stuff know this all too well.

it probably WHY he does this for a living, becuase the law cannot stop him.

He'll probably be a much tougher nut to crack than a mature villan with real legal and personal responsibilties.

Worse, he was probably enroled, because of his age, by a bigger bike theif/fence

Jezston

Über Member
12 year old kids are not outside the legal system - they are just inside it. A year younger and he wouldn't be.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
12 year old kids are not outside the legal system - they are just inside it. A year younger and he wouldn't be.

fair point...but then the cctv doesn't show a copy of his birth certificate, So I wouldnt mind guessing, if he is that blatant, that he is one of those who "just " made the cut.

(i really thought it was 12 though, so thanks...you learn a new thing every day):biggrin:

mknash

Security at work once watched some kid steal my bike, then caught himm and handed him to the police.

Not bad in all respects, but my bike was held for 3 days for evidence whilst they cautionned the kid.......

So got bike back but still had to train for a few days.

Hope you find a good replacement and a place to keep it

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I just phoned the Police and they are going to call me back later - they were v.interested in the cctv though. The security people say he may be older than I think so hopefully they will be able to do something.

Just got one quote back from a bike shop for a Giant Avail 3 as a replacement - looks nice - waiting for the other quotes to come in now!

It's murder on hubby's bike - feels like a weighs a ton!

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I-Cycle in Harborne (Harborne Cycle Surgery) do Giant. Have you tried them?

Nope not yet - I'm not familar with them - are they a good place - I've always used Halesowen Cycles before but now have discovered that they are closed down! Gutted!

Crankarm

Guru
the reluctant cyclist said:
Okay dokey - it's my insurance that I need to contact then!

I had a steel cable sort of lock - like lots of twisted cable together - I don't know what it was called - do you know what I mean?

I'm on hubby's Saracen Rufftrax today - that's got a D lock on it.

You're all going to tell me that my lock was rubbish now aren't you!? :biggrin:

Yep. Cable and combo locks are as much use as string however meaty they look.

Buy an Abus Granit X Plus D-lock for your replacement. Beter still buy two.

Crankarm

Guru
nosherduke996 said:
The main problem is to get a good lock and chain cost a fortune and weigh a ton.

Still cheaper than a new bike and a lot less hassle :biggrin:. Don't think they weigh quite as much as a ton. Would that be an imperial or metric tonne?

dondare

Über Member
Three feet of anchor chain and a lock that costs more than the bike will deter most 12 yr olds.
Unless they're really determined.

Look for your bike on ebay.

g00se

Veteran
You can always leave a serious bike lock at the racks at work - then you don't have to carry it about when you're just commuting between home and the office.

potsy

Rambler
g00se said:
You can always leave a serious bike lock at the racks at work - then you don't have to carry it about when you're just commuting between home and the office.
+1 for this advice,then you have a quality lock but don't have to keep lugging it about everyday.
Sorry to hear about the theft,it's one of the reasons I'm thankful we have an indoor bike area at work,apparently years ago there was a spate of thefts from the outdoor one so the company made some room inside for it,no problems anymore.
Lets hope the police know who he is and you get it back.

OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I hope the Police know him too - they are coming down to look at the cctv footage so at least they are taking an interest.

I will be keeping the lock at work on the racks now - it's a great big thing that hubby says is v.good - he would have to it's now attached around his bike! :sad:

Top Bottom